darkmatter

Reaction score
I'd like to see a poll of people's experiences with the Droid 3:
1) absolutely no reboots
2) less than one reboot per week
3) several reboots per week
4) about 1 reboot every day
5) several reboots per day

Options 1 and 2 are pretty much the same?

I'll go option 2, once or twice a week. I've only ever had one random reboot. The others were precipitated by something, like the outdated netflix.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Rouxdy

Reaction score
The poll doesn't really reflect the issue, IMHO. I can sit in the house all day and get 0 to 1 a day. I go out running around and it reboots several times.

Droid1610

Reaction score
Option 3 for me it seemed like a few reboots per week, nothing I did would change it from happening it was completly random, since today was my 14th day and I didn't wanna get screwed out of a swap for a brand new device I called up tech support and finally after about an hour of trying to discuss the issues and performing a factory reset she granted me a new phone. It was priceless though while I had her on the phone the phone did a new glitch that showed nothing on the screen no tray icons and no widgets. I couldn't swipe from screen to screen or anything and this was after the factory reboot. Anyway if anyone that bought the phone on launch day is still having problems then they should call up and try to get a swap because today is the last day of the 14 day swap window.

When I get the new device im gonna sync only my contacts over and instead of letting google sync all of my apps on its own ill go in and get one by one so that I can test each to see if its one in peticular that is causing the glitch.

Rouxdy

Reaction score
I'm convinced it's not something a new device is going to solve. This is going to require a patch.

Droid1610

Reaction score
Well I guess we will see.. I got them to give me free overnight shipping on the new swap out too so it will be here tomorrow. Im a hard customer to please and I usually get what I want when dealing with vzw customer service. The way I see it is I can take my buisness elsewhere at any time I have 5 lines and pay a few hundred every month, im sure that helps in my case to some point when asking for a credit or a little extra spiff now and then...

As for the patch that might be needed they better get it out soon because the more people that get these phones the more complaints they will get and if the word gets out people will start getting a bad taste about Android.

Based on what the first rep was telling me today before i was transfered to tech support they are already working on a software update for a camera issue (maybe the blue hue, or the fact that it makes the phone sometimes crash) so they obviously care and im sure sinch we have the newest OS on these phones we wont be forgotten about like OG was after the 2.2 update..

allerella

Reaction score
The poll doesn't really reflect the issue, IMHO. I can sit in the house all day and get 0 to 1 a day. I go out running around and it reboots several times.

Couldn't agree more. Overnight, no reboots (my recently used apps this a.m. still showed the apps I used the previous night). I get to work and there are 4 reboots in less than 2 hours. And this is my second phone - I went to Verizon yesterday and they replaced it, but said it sounds like something that we'll see a patch for soon. [Helpful.]

Johnnyb

Reaction score
I think I got lucky, after my factory reset and not syncing apposition my reboots went away.

Still, looking for a patch so I can sync with my Google account.

Sent from my D3, waiting for root to unleash this beast.

allerella

Reaction score
OK - so I did factory reset with absolutely nothing set to sync. I guess, now, I ... wait?

Johnnyb

Reaction score
OK - so I did factory reset with absolutely nothing set to sync. I guess, now, I ... wait?

My process was to add one or two apps back and wait a few hours. I only waited a few hours because I was getting at least one reboot every two hours, sometimes more. Over the course of a few days I had all of the apps I really wanted back on the device and no more rebooting issues.

I hope this helps. I've read of at least one person that was only adding one application back per day to try to minimize the impact, this would do really well to identify any offending apps but I found it to be unnecessary. Kudos to the level of effort to identify the root cause applications!

dragorn

Reaction score
This bug really seems to be tied to the restoration of wifi configs, not apps.

It seems to be fine to let it sync as normal, then go to system settings, wifi, and delete ALL the networks it restored.

You can add them back; the problem seems to be with the restore process.

NoBloatware

Reaction score
This poll over at androidforums indicates that most people aren't seeing the reboots, although only 15 people have voted so who knows.

Things to try:
1) remove any apps that require root
2) consider removing all saved WIFI connections
3) look at any running apps that you've installed and try removing them to find the problem app
4) try a new launcher? (I like Go Launcher EX)
5) factory reset, don't sync stuff, slowly add it back to find the culprit

DrBrainfire

Reaction score
I got my Droid 3 on Friday and soon after syncing my Google account and trying out the camera (I think I also had wifi on), the phone went into a repetitive boot cycle. I noticed "no service" was displayed when this happened. I emailed the university rep (kind of different than a Verizon store) who gave me the phone and she said to "yank the battery and pray." So, that actually worked and I charged my battery to full.

A few hours later, after everything seemed to be working, and after turning wifi off and having the camera on, it rebooted and I had to yank the battery to get it to stop the cycle. Yanking the battery didn't even work the first time, I also pulled the SIM and SDcard the second time (even though it probably didn't matter). It was working fine until I went to bed and decided to reboot it myself. When it came back on, there was the "no service" again and it promptly rebooted itself. I shut it off and charged the battery until morning.

For the last two days (Saturday and Sunday), I have tried to reproduce the problem by turning the phone on and off, turning wifi on and off, using the camera with wifi on and off, etc., but nothing has crashed it. Last night, I did load Go Launcher EX on it, but it held up to the stress test even before that.

I would also like to mention that I didn't have a lot of apps or contacts to sync from my Droid 2. I must have not set it up right on my D2 because it didn't download a lot of apps. I got my old contacts off of the D2's SD card and put that SD card in my D3. I had to do it this way because my D2 had water damage and I claimed it as lost.

Well, all that said, I'm about 48 hours problem-free, so I think I'm going to keep it (because I really really like it). Any ideas on what the problem might have been?

vfrc46

Reaction score
I experienced several reboots the first day and started forum searching that night. After finding many comments on the issue began to wonder if I should take the phone back. And these reboots didn't always occur when I was using the phone. At least one occurred while in the car with bluetooth running but not on a call.
I started looking at the apps I pulled from my OD and uninstalled Lookout on a hunch. Maybe coincidence, but the phone has been better since with one reboot while trying to swipe across to a different home screen.
Going to hang on to the phone a few more days through reg use and see how it goes.
Brian

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

vfrc46

Reaction score
Spoke too soon. Just rebooted as i was reading forum posts. Ans i think i heard a reboot last night when i had it in my pocket (and the "detect pocket " mode isn't on. Tough having confidence in this device. The D1 was slow but it didn't do this.

Anyone else continuing to have reboot issues?

jpblock82

Reaction score
I experienced several reboots the first day and started forum searching that night. After finding many comments on the issue began to wonder if I should take the phone back. And these reboots didn't always occur when I was using the phone. At least one occurred while in the car with bluetooth running but not on a call.
I started looking at the apps I pulled from my OD and uninstalled Lookout on a hunch. Maybe coincidence, but the phone has been better since with one reboot while trying to swipe across to a different home screen.
Going to hang on to the phone a few more days through reg use and see how it goes.
Brian

I would at least hang tight for the first major update. There are always bugs with new hardware/software. I get a reboot every now and then, but nothing that would make me wanna take the phone back.