Random key presses

C3H5N3O9

Reaction score
I had my phone rooted for about a year and had no problems until two weeks ago. I noticed my phone was hitting random keys, the screen turning off and on when I didn't tell it to, and the menus randomly moving up and down. This also occurs in Clockwork recovery.

The only solution I found was to unroot my phone using RSD Lite and returning it to stock. It still happens if I use superoneclick to unroot.

I was running LGB1.42 but this occurred when I rooted again this morning to see if the problem was still there and I didn't flash LGB1.42 yet.

Any ideas why my droid is doing this?
If there aren't any, I guess I can keep using my phone unrooted....

Thanks

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Did you do a wipe before you did the sbf? If not, a wipe may have fixed it.

I don't use custom ROM's myself. I can't say that they cause problems, but I've seen many people have issues from running certain ROMs. I can also say even I've had an occasion when I had to do a Factory Data Reset with the stock ROM once, though my issue wasn' nearly as bad as yours.

If you really want the ROM then reinstall it. If it acts up again, try another ROM or just run stock.

OP
C

C3H5N3O9

Reaction score
The only way I was able to get it fixed was with a factory data reset. Even if I re-root it now, it will hit random buttons again. When I was running stock this morning after re-rooting again on the factory data reset the problem still occured and that was before I could even flash a custom ROM. I didn't have to reinstall clockwork recovery though as it was already on my phone...

Maybe it's something left over from when it was rooted before? I'll try rooting it right now and not installing anything (rom manager) and seeing if it works fine.

EDIT: Ok, it seems to be working but this happened this morning up until I installed ROM Manager and then it went FUBAR on me... I'll try to boot into recovery and install a custom rom and ill report back.

EDIT 2: Ok, even with stock it's still pressing random buttons now. I have no idea what wrong because I did a factory reset this morning too...

I've also hit wipe partition and cache but no luck on that front either.

I used RSD Lite to put on the stock SBF file from verizon.

thanks

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
It seems you done a lot of "tinkering". If I understand correctly even in stock your phone is "pressing random buttons" Is that correct? If so, pressing buttons covers a lot what exactly is it doing?

Did you add anything just before this problem started?

Do you have RM installed now?

Are you familiar with SPR or RZR recovery?

OP
C

C3H5N3O9

Reaction score
If I understand correctly even in stock your phone is "pressing random buttons" Is that correct? >>> The only way I could get it to stop was by using RSD Lite to flash the verizon sbf file. It would press random buttons if I used superoneclick to unroot my phone until I used RSD Lite.

Did you add anything just before this problem started? >>> I've messed with my phone so much that I can't even recall. But this morning when this problem occurred the only thing I installed was Rom Manager.

Do you have RM installed now? >>> Yes.

Are you familiar with SPR or RZR recovery? >>> I've only used clockwork mod recovery, but could install SPRecovery through rom manager if I need to. I've never used RZR recovery before.

On a side note, I have no idea what I did besides wiping my phone a 100 times, but it seems to have finally stopped hitting random buttons. I think I'll lay off of the custom ROMS for a few hours and see if my phone is still working:)

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
OK I'm subscribed to this thread so if you have issues post them.

For now, I agree that if your phone is stable let it alone.

lockman

Reaction score
Don't know if this helps, but I have had 3 D1's replaced due to this problem. Two were bone stock, hadn't even rooted them yet. It seems like it's hardware, at least it has been for me. I did basically same steps as op, never was more than a bandaid.

Sent from my brain using my fingers

impherring13

Reaction score
Same Issue

I was running CM6 when the same issue started. I backed up and flashed CM7 RC2 to see if maybe it was a CM6 issue but no luck. I flashed back to stock and the problem continued. The screen is practically unusable. Almost like it thinks I'm touching it ten times a second.

impherring13

Reaction score
Better, for now

I flashed a stock 2.0.1 sbf and the problem continued. After it automatically pushed me to 2.1 the screen started working fine. Guess we'll see how long it lasts.

OP
C

C3H5N3O9

Reaction score
Just an update for those with the same problem:

I installed CM7 as well as 1100mhz kernel and my phone is still stable.

The only thing I can think of that I did to fix this was wipe my phone over and over again. (Probably at least 5 times before it stopped...)

Other than that, I have no idea as to why it started working again. I'll report back if my phone becomes unstable.

Thanks for the help!

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update and glad your phone is stable.