Radiation and cell phones

TBV

Reaction score
With all the news regarding the nuclear crisis in Japan due to the recent 9.0 earthquake, the thought of radiation levels from cell phones came to mind, and because I had not looked at a SAR list in about a year, I looked up a recent list, and good news Fascinate owners, the Samsung Fascinate is one of the lowest radiation generating devices on the market here in the US (.57 SAR compared to a 1.58 SAR on the Droid 2 Global)!

As a matter of fact, 11 Samsung devices are of the 20 lowest SAR devices on the market (the Fascinate sits at approximately #25 on that list).

Cell phone radiation levels - CNET Reviews

TBV

Buddy, you been absorbing more radiation in your food, and from the sun, and virtually every human you interact with than what these phones generate. And all of it is perfectly safe.

Nuclear Radiation Exposed | Scribd

Nuclear energy one of safest forms of power Clovis News Journal

Analysis: Nuclear Power Is Safest Energy Source, Studies Show - by Jay Lehr - Environment & Climate News

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

Thanks for the info 'buddy', however I did not post this to come across as though I was overly concerned about radiation absorption from cell phones, but simply that as a VZW employee who sells phones, I do at times come across customers who ask about SAR on devices, as part of my job I do have a smartphone on my hip for about 9 hours per day, and I find it somewhat interesting that some devices generate more than others even though for the most part they are performing the same functions.

Although it is 'true' that there are forms of radiation generated by many things we interact with in our daily lives, IMO there have not been enough studies to conclusively tell us if there is/is not a cause/effect of the devices, so to know a little about what we are carrying around and using as our main form of communication is not bad info to have knowledge of.

Hell, I think ultra-liberal San Francisco just made it the law that cell providers in that county have the SAR listed either in the stores or on the packaging. (shrugs shoulders)

Well, considering that there in fact is conclusive science that proves there’s no link between cellular devices and brain cancer, I'd say you're wrong.

http://mblogs.discovermagazine.com/...after-me-cell-phones-dont-cause-brain-cancer/

Listen: there's a lot of politics and media flim flam on this subject. Fear mongering has been a tried and true means to fascinate and terrify the masses for centuries. It's a proven means to get their foot in the door to something they want to impose and control regulations with.

Look at the net neutrality legislation that's buzzing around congress. The politicians can add another unwarranted policy to their respective platform, and the media outlets have something to report on during slow news cycles.

Sar levels are meaningless.

You should actually check some of these links. They're quite informative, with rock solid citations.

Btw: I wonder if the low SARS rating on Galaxy S phones is related to the generally weak signal?

My bet is that it is.

Crank up the radiation, Samsung! It won't hurt anyone, and I'm sick of giving my phone the "thumbs up" on the rare occasion I get 4 bars.

It's like I'm cheering on a Special Olympics participant...

Buddy, you been absorbing more radiation in your food, and from the sun, and virtually every human you interact with than what these phones generate. And all of it is perfectly safe.

I wouldn't say that radiation from the sun is "perfectly safe."

Well, considering that there in fact is conclusive science that proves there’s no link between cellular devices and brain cancer, I'd say you're wrong.

"Proves" is an awfully strong word for research that failed to show a significant correlation. Scientific research doesn't really "prove" a lack of correlation. It just doesn't find a correlation. There is an important distinction there.

The bottom line is that right now SAR levels are somewhat meaningless because we don't really have any science saying that they are useful. However, we don't have a complete understanding of cancer so we really don't know what effect different types of radiation may or may not have. There was a study showing a correlation between the amount of fluid surrounding one's brain and cell phone usage. There was also a study showing decreased bone density on the hip that males wore a cell phone holster on. While correlation certainly does not imply causation, it would be naive to say this is solved science.

Back