Qustion about CDMA Vs GSM(sim card)

Big_Ron

Reaction score
Little bit of background on the question. I'm active duty Navy and have been leaving over seas. Every thing is Sim card. I have a JB iPhone that I can’t wait to get rid of. I hate I tunes. I have been looking at the Droid X and my wife wants the Droid 2. So the Question is this. Is CDMA better then GSM(sim card) I was told that only Verizon and T-Mobil use CDMA and the rest of the world uses GSM. i asked the same question the on Verizon site. But I think i might get a more in depth answer here. Thanks in advance I have learned a lot so far from this community thus far and look forward to learning more

dancedroid

R

RETG

Probably over a hundred countries offer CDMA. No doubt, GSM is a larger network worldwide. Which is better? That will be primarily personal choices and the customer service, reputation and network offered by the local carriers of each system will be an important feature.

Personally for me, CDMA is the best since it is offered by Verizon. I have had great service with Verizon, they do have the largest network in the USA, but more importantly, where I live, there are only two companies that offer full 3G coverage; Verizon or Sprint and Verizon's coverage area is five times larger than Sprint. AT&T only offers EDGE in this area and the network is small. (On a side note that is probably not a fair example since it is only me, I did have AT&T as an issued phone for six months and I have to say everyone mentioned it sounded like I was in a trash can speaking. I would say it was the phone, but I can usually tell when people are using GSM to call me.)

But for others, in other places or for other reasons, a GSM carrier such as AT&T is the best.

For overseas, it all depends on which country you will be in. For the USA, a lot will depend on where in the USA you will be living.

I do not believe that one is actually better than the other, it is all up to the provider to provide the coverage for either system.

Last edited by a moderator:

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Sprint and verizon are the only 2 major carriers using CDMA. T-mobile and ATT use GSM, the smaller carriers lease from the larger mainly so it depends.

Supposedly CDMA is the more advanced of the 2, but GSM offers the ability to use data and voice at the same time. Each has their pros and cons. GSM is used more overseas, but CDMA is used in some countries. There is a list on VZWs site that tells where you can use your phone.

OP
Big_Ron

Big_Ron

Reaction score
I live in Japan at this point, and I have been to most counter’s on the Pacific Rim to include Austria. But I will be back in the states for good in about 40 days. I will be in the DC area. So I’m sure that the coverage is good with Verizon in that area. I just want to make a bad decision. I hate the iPhone and can’t stand iTunes. I had AT&T 4+ years ago when I went over seas. So as you can imagine I little bit behind the power curve. The Cell phone technology is not as advanced as you would think in Japan i was expecting more when i got here. So I’m trying to learn as much as possible before i get homei want to get a phone the first week i'm home. dancedroid

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Is CDMA better then GSM(sim card) I was told that only Verizon and T-Mobil use CDMA and the rest of the world uses GSM.
Better is always subjective but for international use GSM is the way to go.

There are some CDMA/GSM hybrid devices. I don't think any are Android device yet though.

harrellj

Reaction score
Is CDMA better then GSM(sim card) I was told that only Verizon and T-Mobil use CDMA and the rest of the world uses GSM.
Better is always subjective but for international use GSM is the way to go.

There are some CDMA/GSM hybrid devices. I don't think any are Android device yet though.

Well, the D2WE should be out within the next couple of months which would fix that problem :icon_ banana: