Quick simple Queston

AngelRyuxz

Reaction score
Would the droid 4 be just like the razr maxx if bought an extended battery? Because if so, I'd just buy the droid4 so i could remove the battery if bootloop.
Thanks.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

robert70

Reaction score
I don't think you can, but I haven't picked one up yet to play with it so I could be wrong.

MistaMean

Reaction score
The Droid 4 officially does not have a removable battery, so when or if you need to do a hard reset on your D4 use the power button + volume down just like the Moto RAZRs have to do.

Reaction score
The DROID 4 comes with a tool to remove the back

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

mccompunerd

Reaction score
I can confirm that the D4 has a non-removable battery. Only reason you can remove the back cover is to get to the sim and sd card slots.

Natey2

Reaction score
If the Droid 4 has a non-removable battery, how will you restart the phone when Google Maps Navigation locks it up really bad?

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using Tapatalk

ramar

Reaction score
As stated above, power button + volume down = hard reset.

Sent from my DROID4 using DroidForums

OP
A

AngelRyuxz

Reaction score
Oh.. I didn't think d4 would do this too... Why are they not letting us take out the battery? What if we bootloop, how'd we fix it?

TC_Mits

Reaction score
Oh.. I didn't think d4 would do this too... Why are they not letting us take out the battery? What if we bootloop, how'd we fix it?

Rooting stuff with the non-removable battery is a concern.

I posted this on HoFo before the D4 release. It might help:

"OK. I think I'm starting to be able to piece together this battery puzzle. True polymer batteries are super, except they have to stay really hot to work well. The RAZR & D4 will use a foil pouch Lithium-hybrid polymer design. As such it has no significant performance advantage over regular Lithium ion batteries. What makes it useful in a handheld device is that it can be made really skinny. Since the hybrid battery is soft, you can break it. That's one reason to lock it away. Another reason is that polymer hybrid Li-ion batteries are more prone to gassing, so Motorola may have felt that double covers would better resist its ballooning tendencies. However, nobody wants a battery you can't replace yourself, especially since Lithium batteries are known to start to degrade after a year or so, even if not in use. So we get a key and instructions on how to - carefully! - install a new battery when the original gets too weak. That new battery may be expensive since it's a new technology in low production.
Essentially, this is all being done just to make the phone a tad (0.2mm or 1.55% v. D3) skinnier. There is no other performance benefit to the user. And you lose the ability to "just pull the battery" to reset the phone when it freezes,up, gets loopy aftet a minor spill, or if you're stuck trying to root it.

This is mostly supposition but it is consistent with what we know."

After release, we now know that the battery is not designed *ever* to be removed and there is no approved vzw or Moto replacement battery. Essentially, as far as vzw is concerned, the $550 (outright) D4 is like a disposable flashlight -- when the battery wears out, it's trash. That's true even if you've only had it 13 months and you're still under contract.

Perspective instantiates reality.
( By DX w/DF app. )

OP
A

AngelRyuxz

Reaction score
Rooting stuff with the non-removable battery is a concern.

I posted this on HoFo before the D4 release. It might help:

"OK. I think I'm starting to be able to piece together this battery puzzle. True polymer batteries are super, except they have to stay really hot to work well. The RAZR & D4 will use a foil pouch Lithium-hybrid polymer design. As such it has no significant performance advantage over regular Lithium ion batteries. What makes it useful in a handheld device is that it can be made really skinny. Since the hybrid battery is soft, you can break it. That's one reason to lock it away. Another reason is that polymer hybrid Li-ion batteries are more prone to gassing, so Motorola may have felt that double covers would better resist its ballooning tendencies. However, nobody wants a battery you can't replace yourself, especially since Lithium batteries are known to start to degrade after a year or so, even if not in use. So we get a key and instructions on how to - carefully! - install a new battery when the original gets too weak. That new battery may be expensive since it's a new technology in low production.
Essentially, this is all being done just to make the phone a tad (0.2mm or 1.55% v. D3) skinnier. There is no other performance benefit to the user. And you lose the ability to "just pull the battery" to reset the phone when it freezes,up, gets loopy aftet a minor spill, or if you're stuck trying to root it.

This is mostly supposition but it is consistent with what we know."

After release, we now know that the battery is not designed *ever* to be removed and there is no approved vzw or Moto replacement battery. Essentially, as far as vzw is concerned, the $550 (outright) D4 is like a disposable flashlight -- when the battery wears out, it's trash. That's true even if you've only had it 13 months and you're still under contract.

Perspective instantiates reality.
( By DX w/DF app. )

I didn't see you posted this lol.. Sorry for long wait. That was a very well write up, thank you. I'm probably gonna chance it with the razr maxx since every 2years you upgrade. Then I'm still saying I'm going with the nexus lol so idk just 1week til i can upgrade though :x