Quick rooting question

Rick-s

Reaction score
I went thru the sticky "All in 1: Manual update and Root the Droid" and when I got to the point of listing
---
ls -l *su
(you should see the following)
-rwsr-sr-x root root 76200 2008-08-01 05:00 osu
-rwsr-sr-x root root 76200 2009-05-30 11:28 su
(now continue typing these following lines to finish)
---

My result was like the above except my permissions were
-rwsr-xr-x for osu and -rwsr-sr-x for su.

Did something go wrong or is this normal?? Everything else seems to be correct. Another thing I noticed was that instructions at some places say to enter this line:

---
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

---

as
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system

which is correct and could that be the cause of my problem??

I really wish I were more familiar with linux, then I possibly wouldn't be asking these questions.

BTW, I installed the terminal program referenced in the instructions and if I type su at the prompt, I get "su: access granted, courtesy of www.magicandroidapps.com" I also have a new Superuser Permissions icon in my menu (though it doesn't seem to do anything). Does this mean I am now successfully rooted??

TIA for any help and info,

Rick

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes sir....you are rooted successfully it seems.....the ninja app icon is supposed to do anything...

And the mtdblock3 you mentioned is not correct, that was a misunderstanding in the beginning of the Droid that mounts for it was 3 and 5.....but that is incorrect they found out later, it is actually 4 and 6

OP
R

Rick-s

Reaction score
Does it hurt anything that I used 3 instead of 4? And why do you think my permissions differ?

OP
R

Rick-s

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome and VERY QUICK responses. :) I guess I will be off to figure out what I want to do next!! Are there and caveats I need to watch out for??