[Quick Review] Motorola Droid 3

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
D1.jpg

We are trying to cover all our bases, so before getting to the Bionic review later today, here is the Droid 3 review you might have asked me about. The Droid 3 from Motorola is the 3rd addition to a very popular line of Droids as you all know, but does it still hold the same value as the previous generations of Droid's? We'll find out.
D2.jpg

Overview:
I've been using the Droid 3 for about two weeks now, and can say I'm not too impressed by the device. It's a great phone with dual-core, an 8 megapixel camera, and a full qwerty keyboard, but that's just about it. Comparing it to my 1 year old T-mobile G2, it has the same thickness but weights more. More-over it does not have Verizon's new LTE 4G, and that's just like a knife in the heart to anyone that has already tried the new 4G and is forced to go back to 3G.

The software on this phone is great otherwise. Its snappy, thanks to the dual-core 1Ghz processor, and everything loads quickly with video playback looking fairly fluid. You do get the occasional lag, but this occasion is more like Christmas than the weekend, in the sense that it's rare for you to experience lag. The camera takes decent pictures, but don't expect this to give you processional quality; you'll see what I mean when you read the Bionic review.

Now quick review:

Good:
  • Dual-core
  • Camera takes 1080p video
  • Software is very smooth
  • Call quality is not bad at all
  • Battery life

Bad:
  • Thicker than a 1 year old phone; Not very attractive
  • No 4G!
  • Picture quality is lacking
  • Keyboard very cramped

Rating:

9/10: Speed and Multitasking
6/10: Camera Quality
8/10: Browsing Experience
7/10: Music Playback
7/10: Network
7/10: Pricing
7/10: Overall Rating
D4.jpg

Would I buy it?

I have used this as my personal phone for 2 weeks, and can say without a doubt that I'm happier with my G2. The G2 at least does not look half bad, the keyboard is useable and the camera makes great pictures. The Droid 3 is a great device for what it is; last year's technology.

D3.jpg

Recommend it?
No; not even a dual-core processor can persuade me to pay near Bionic price to get this phone that does not have 4G. It's a decent phone if you must have a keyboard, but otherwise, you're better off waiting for another 4G device with a keyboard or buying the Bionic.

astokes

Reaction score
lol droid3

Nice post, informative content.

My fiance has a Droid3, she came from an OG Droid and she loves her new phone, its pretty much a Bionic with a keyboard but lacking LTE, not that LTE matters up here in Maine because we dont have it now and probably wont see it until 2013.

apotheosis415

Reaction score
Camera issues, rebooting issues

There are some serious bugs with this phone. Go to the forums and read before choosing. the camera is very slow, sometimes not responding to shutter presses. The camcorder for "1080" video is un-useable do to a focusing issue. They took away many features from the setting options from Droid 1 to the Droid 3. i.e. droid 1 you coudl set camcorder to infinite focus, D3 you cannot! There is a patch in the works but its coming.......???

As well the slide out part opens in my front jean pocket constantly. FAR worse the the D1. I regret buying this phone and not returning within 14 days. Im going to attempt to sell this on ebay after the OTA, if it doesn't fix these core issues. If you want a regurgitated D1 choose this.

No offence to the reviewer. I have had to ship this phone back twice already and still have issues.

OP
W

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
No offense taken.
Like I said... Not even Dual-core would make me want to own this phone.

There are some serious bugs with this phone. Go to the forums and read before choosing. the camera is very slow, sometimes not responding to shutter presses. The camcorder for "1080" video is un-useable do to a focusing issue. They took away many features from the setting options from Droid 1 to the Droid 3. i.e. droid 1 you coudl set camcorder to infinite focus, D3 you cannot! There is a patch in the works but its coming.......???

As well the slide out part opens in my front jean pocket constantly. FAR worse the the D1. I regret buying this phone and not returning within 14 days. Im going to attempt to sell this on ebay after the OTA, if it doesn't fix these core issues. If you want a regurgitated D1 choose this.

No offence to the reviewer. I have had to ship this phone back twice already and still have issues.

Darksthour

Reaction score
Honestly I have had no problems with my DROID3. Sure it doesn't have lte and lapdock capabilities but I can live without because I use wifi almost everywhere already and would probably never buy the moto lapdock. Plus I don't feel like the keyboard is cramped at all. Especially coming from the Droid 1. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I feel like with all new phones that come out there are always bugs. That's what updates are for. From what I've heard the leaked update has solved a lot if not all problems. There are a lot of good phones out for Verizon now and that's why they give you 15 days to return a phone and get a new one if you don't like. Sorry about the long rant but I thought I would throw my thought about the phone into the discussion.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Maverick0984

Reaction score
Honestly I have had no problems with my DROID3. Sure it doesn't have lte and lapdock capabilities but I can live without because I use wifi almost everywhere already and would probably never buy the moto lapdock. Plus I don't feel like the keyboard is cramped at all. Especially coming from the Droid 1. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I feel like with all new phones that come out there are always bugs. That's what updates are for. From what I've heard the leaked update has solved a lot if not all problems. There are a lot of good phones out for Verizon now and that's why they give you 15 days to return a phone and get a new one if you don't like. Sorry about the long rant but I thought I would throw my thought about the phone into the discussion.

I see alot more people echoing this sentiment then either the OP (reviewer) or the previous couple comments.

Frankly, the "quick review" is lacking, littered with bias, and self-admitted to a "quick job". I'd rather have no review, then a rush job.

Honestly, you'd be hard pressed to find one single other person who doesn't like the keyboard. It is far and above king of all keyboards I've ever touched on a phone. But to each his own I suppose. I just feel like this reviewer made up his mind before he even had the phone in his hand. Much like all the Bionic love lately (before release), which isn't all that different (all the same issues the D3 had at launch, which shouldn't be a surprise).

celtic11

Reaction score
I see alot more people echoing this sentiment then either the OP (reviewer) or the previous couple comments.

Frankly, the "quick review" is lacking, littered with bias, and self-admitted to a "quick job". I'd rather have no review, then a rush job.

Honestly, you'd be hard pressed to find one single other person who doesn't like the keyboard. It is far and above king of all keyboards I've ever touched on a phone. But to each his own I suppose. I just feel like this reviewer made up his mind before he even had the phone in his hand. Much like all the Bionic love lately (before release), which isn't all that different (all the same issues the D3 had at launch, which shouldn't be a surprise).

I agree and have had almost no problems with my phone either. My gps was acting up on vacation but the update is said to fix some gps bugs so im not too awfully worried. My camera also is quick and 1080 video not only works but looks amazing. I think the poster above got a bad device and should probably return it on warranty claim.

The review was just a hack job. I agree without 4g the phone isn't for everyone but there is still a market for this phone. I like how we should get the bionic instead of this buggy phone when I see 10x the amount of threads regarding bionic complaints than d3 complaints.

Reaction score
Agreed with the last couple posts. My wife got the Droid 3 the same time I got the Bionic. So far, she had had no issues and I have had to take my Bionic back twice so I am on my third one and it finally works well. With the exception of 4g, they are the same phone only the Droid 3 had three physical keyboard which my wife will not go without. As for the Droid 3 being "near Bionic price" according to the OP, my wife got her D3 for $99 (not to mention verizon is also giving us a $100 gift card which makes get phone free), while my Bionic was $250. The prices aren't even comparible.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

NoBloatware

Reaction score
This is the 2nd time this dude has dissed the Droid 3 on this site. The first time he says that the phone is based on last year's technology. No, it's this year's technology. 4G burns through battery as he points out in his Bionic review.

Cramped keyboard? WTF, seriously?

This is the same guy that can't even get Andy Rubin's name right...Andy Rubenstein, etc. and who's grammar and spelling were so atrocious that I'm sure that someone is now reviewing the articles before submission.

And DF is supporting this malarkey! Get rid of this dude!

NoBloatware

Reaction score
who's grammar / whose grammar? whatever, i'm not the one writing articles

patfactorx

Reaction score
If you wanted a keyboard phone on the carrier with the best coverage what else would you choose?

DC4MVP

Reaction score
I got mine for free as a replacement after breaking the screen on my OG Droid.

Can't complain for it being a free phone for me, at least.

7/10 for me.

jonamurphy

Reaction score
If you wanted a keyboard phone on the carrier with the best coverage what else would you choose?

Exactly. That was the biggest selling point for why I bought this phone; I can't stand touchscreen keyboards.

Now if they would just release the update to fix the keyboard quirks......