[Quick Review] Galaxy Nexus

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
2.jpg

Last month a device was announced that was set to change the way Android phones would look and feel. The Galaxy Nexus was announced as the first Android device to be able to run the new Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich software and that's just what it was. Released earlier last week, the device comes to us as the first phone ever to have no button in the front (iPhone has one) just a sexy curved display. Let's give this new pure Android device a quick review, and see how we feel about it at the end of the day.

IMAG0084.jpg

Overview:
Getting this device, I was instantly impressed by how sleek, clean, and nice it looked. The front of the phone only has the speaker grill, front facing camera, some sensors, and a really useful LED indicator, nothing more or less. The rear of the phone has a 5 megapixel no lag back-lit camera with a single LED flash which produces decent pictures; these pictures weren't as good as those on the Rezound (which took the pictures being used in this review) or the Galaxy S II but they're still up there. The phone in general is quite nice, slim, unique and just plain sexy.

IMAG0088.jpg

[video=youtube;Sxcgd2LRQ48]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sxcgd2LRQ48[/video]
Watch in 1080p for full quality

The software part of this phone is another thing I really loved about the device. Google really outdid themselves when they finished Android 4.0, the OS is quite simply amazing. I've experienced no lag, switching apps is a breeze, and even the browser experience has been touched up. The software included with the phone is pure Android, and as far as I can tell, there was no Verizon bloatware installed on the device (no Google wallet either though). The facial recognition software is pretty cool, but it's mostly for showing off to iPhone owners, because it doesn't really enhance security. The UI that comes stock, IMHO, is far better than anything else. Android 4.0 is, all-together, the best OS I've used to date and the Galaxy Nexus's hardware complements it in every way.

IMAG0100.jpg

Slow speed compared to the 39MB/s I got the first time I tested last week.

Now here's the breakdown:

Good:

• HD 720p resolution
  • Fast 1.2 Ghz Dual-core processor
  • No Lag Camera
  • Fast 4G
  • Android 4.0
  • No Bloat-ware
  • Sleek design
  • Pretty good battery life for an LTE device
  • Development community backed (Droidforums.net)
Bad:
  • Camera quality could be improved
  • No hard camera button
  • Price
Ratings:

10/10: Speed and Multitasking
8/10: Camera Quality
10/10: Browsing Experience
9/10: Music Playback
10/10: Network
7/10: Pricing
9/10: Overall Rating

IMAG0090.jpg

Would I buy it?
Yes I really would. I currently own the Galaxy S II, amongst other devices, and I enjoy using the Galaxy Nexus more than all of them. The device, with it's sleek design and no front buttons, looks really nice and I feel cool every time I pull it out of my pocket.
IMAG0095.jpg

Recommend it?
Yes; If you have the money to buy one of these, do it. $299 with a contract is not a cheap price but if you're going to be married to a phone for 2 years then you shouldn't settle for anything less than the best.

Congrats Google and Samsung, you've made a heck of a device and I congratulate you for it.
Merry Christmas to all, and I hope your day was nothing less than perfect.

Photos taken with a Rezound!

Last edited:

bigsnack

Reaction score
Do you mind elaborating on this point? "Screen technology isn't a smart choice"

Btw, you do know Amazon is offering it for under $190 with a two year contract on Verizon.

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
Very good honest review (like usual!) I would have probably said about the same things! :) Although the camera isn't the best, it certainly doesn't disappoint. I still don't think I've gotten one picture (as long as I'm paying attention, and focusing) that disappoints. I'm all around very happy! Especially with the unlocked Bootloader! DancingNexus
:hail:DancingNexus

Sadly, I can't argue with the bad points you presented. They're pretty much the standards now... :disappointed:

John Gi

Reaction score
Do you mind elaborating on this point? "Screen technology isn't a smart choice"

Btw, you do know Amazon is offering it for under $190 with a two year contract on Verizon.
i actually think since it is still back oredered, they pulled it,
i will get the phone as soon as it hits 200

markwebb

Reaction score
ok. Left out one important feature: build quality = 5 or 6. Very cheap. I doubt these phones will last 6 months after hard use or normal wear and tear. We all know it is the software which makes this phone.

Last edited:

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
ok. Left out one important feature: build quality = 5 or 6. Very cheap. I doubt these phones will last 6 months after hard use or normal wear and tear. We all know it is the software which makes this phone.

im sure it will last but I will agree the quality just isn't there

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score

What do you plan on doing with your phone that would cause it to wear down so fast? I mean no it's not as rugged as the D1 but c'mon I don't plan on putting my phone in the dryer and just watching it bang against the sides or playing pass with my phone with the neighborhood kids. If you do plan on doing either of those things just put a case on it.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Thanks for the review Wen. Can't wait to go pick mine up!

seminole1994

Reaction score

Sour Grapes?

RyanPm40

Reaction score
THANK-YOU for posting that the battery life isn't that bad.

Honestly, I read online, people are actually whining that 10-11 hours of battery life on the normal battery being "unacceptable". Do they realize this is a smart phone? and an LTE device? Even if it were a 3G-only device, 10-11 hours is not that bad. My Droid Incredible was probably about the same (or, honestly, worse). My Thunderbolt on 4G? PFFFT. That thing sucks battery so rapidly if it's pulling from nothing other than 4G, and probably only lasts about 9-10 hours on 3G.

Smartphones are like a laptop that you have on you at all times. Expect for the battery life not to last for 2-3 days like your old ones did, and learn to charge it. You cannot honestly tell me that within 10-11 hours, you are awake, using your phone, and away from a charger. Smartphone technology usually charges unbelievably quickly through a wall charger, any way, nowadays.

Lucas5

Reaction score
I have had my Nexus since the 16th and I have been in love with it ever since. Heck! I think I love this more than my OG Droid (baby is still rocking out as my alarm clock - weather alert). As for the build quality: just what was mentioned above - it's good enough and I don't plan on cracking nuts with it.

suzukimethod

Reaction score
2 quick add-on/responses to themes in this thread:

Battery life is highly variable, and for me, the problems were programs running away with the OS. I re-installed a bunch of apps from my OG Droid 1, and not one at a time....then was getting really limited battery life. i took a deep breath, uninstalled everything that i had put on, and will add them as i want them. On 3g battery is beyond fine. on 4g, it lasts all day for me (so long as I dont stream movies or look at the screen all day), and i know it will get better with ROMs once i root it.

build quality is actually better than i was anticipating. i was nervous about all the plastic, but the battery case attachment is downright lock-solid, which is one of my primary concerns, since a loose battery case sucks in general, and is worse if you drop it. i am a little nervous about the glass, but i felt the same way about my OG droid and 37 drops later, it was OK. i'm hoping to NOT test my nexus in the same way.

that said, the device is still very much in the early adopter phase (ICS, first "google phone" on VZW, etc), and i went into it knowing that, and figure i wont get settled into my ideal usage till month 2 or 3 (same with my day 1 OG droid). the polish will come, and much of it is already here, but there are gonna be some quirks. (like my 6 hour battery life as some random (nonICS compatible?) apps ran away with the device OS preventing any sleep...lol)

GTX1

Reaction score
It's funny when "No Hard Camera Button" is a "Bad" on a phone, kinda makes you think you're searching for something to not like.

It's also funny when considering a main feature of this phone is the lack of buttons it has.