quick question about airplane mode

astscott

Reaction score
iam goin down to florida tommrow ad i was wondering if i use airplane will they let me keep my fone on
iam flyin jet blue
and if they have wifi could i use that with airplane mode on

sherri

Silver Member
Reaction score
Airplane mode turns off all data. You can keep phone on to play games and listen to music...

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not true.

You can put it in airplane mode and then turn ON wifi... Data will then be available. Phone will be off.

Turn on after the crew gives you the ok (10k MSL and climbing), turn off when told as well.

Give it a shot.

Last edited:

griz8791

Reaction score
I've only been on one wi-fi equipped flight since getting the droid. The wifi wasn't going to be free and in fact came with a pretty outrageous hourly rate. I ultimately decided the novelty of in-flight internet wasn't worth the outrage.

cpinto

Reaction score
iam goin down to florida tommrow ad i was wondering if i use airplane will they let me keep my fone on
iam flyin jet blue
and if they have wifi could i use that with airplane mode on

Hey astscott,

Thought I'd jump in here. I'm a Captain for jetBlue, so first of all thanks for using our airline.

Looks like you already have the correct answer.

Yes, airplane mode does turn off all data features, but you can manually turn wifi back on via settings or the power widget.

Proper procedure: Phone off when the door closes. Really off.
Climbing out of 10,000 feet you'll hear a little DING DING, and an announcement will be made that port elect devices can now be used, ... Now turn on the phone, but put it in Airplane Mode. Next manually turn wifi on.

After I say that, I'll also pass along that we have only one working airplane with a limited wifi ability. It's in a test mode. The airplane name is "Beta Blue".

It has taken us much longer to get this going, as I believe the goal was to install it, and offer at no charge, or very little.

We already have 36 channels of TV and 100 channels of XM at each seat, so the electronics are probably getting a little heavy as it is.

You'll enjoy that, and probably won't miss the wifi.

Thanks again for your business.

Craig

mcinvaille

Reaction score
Being the conformist that I am (past military) I take it one step further. Prior to turning off my phone I put it in Airplane Mode. Then, I power it off. Then when given the all clear I power the phone back up and it is still in Airplane mode. Probably not that big of a deal but I fly a lot, why push it ;)