Question ONLY for those who say android Does Not Need task killer...

OP
Fonzz

Fonzz

Reaction score
Sounds like your device could be switching from 3g to 1x which could cause the lock up from time to time. Make sure your 3 g coverage is good. otherwise use wifi. If it is only happening with this one game that requires data, try clearing out the games cache in Managed Apps settings. Otherwise, I have to agree it may be the app itself. Reinstall it, and restore your settings with titanium

Like I said, does not matter what network I use.

Looked into the games cache, it was at zero.

Never heard of titanium nor know how to use it, what it does etc.

Restore settings?!? sounds like if I un-install and re-install I will lose all my achievements with the game so far? Titanium will help with this? I'll need semi-detailed instructions at the least. I'm no rooter, and I'm only mildly familiar with computers too.

Why I'm the go to guy when family and friends have 'puter problems is beyond me...I know a little more than they do so they think I'm an expert and every time I do help, it re-enforces their theory. Ugghhh.

illmatic636

Reaction score
Sounds like your device could be switching from 3g to 1x which could cause the lock up from time to time. Make sure your 3 g coverage is good. otherwise use wifi. If it is only happening with this one game that requires data, try clearing out the games cache in Managed Apps settings. Otherwise, I have to agree it may be the app itself. Reinstall it, and restore your settings with titanium

Like I said, does not matter what network I use.

Looked into the games cache, it was at zero.

Never heard of titanium nor know how to use it, what it does etc.

Restore settings?!? sounds like if I un-install and re-install I will lose all my achievements with the game so far? Titanium will help with this? I'll need semi-detailed instructions at the least. I'm no rooter, and I'm only mildly familiar with computers too.

Why I'm the go to guy when family and friends have 'puter problems is beyond me...I know a little more than they do so they think I'm an expert and every time I do help, it re-enforces their theory. Ugghhh.

Fonz. Not talking about the network, but more the automatic switching of networks by the phone. If you have both wifi and mobile data active, you may get spurts of lock ups from time to time simply because the device is seeking the better network.

Titanium will save your Data on the game so you can wipe and restore your progress, score etc.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
"Don't use a task killer" means:

-don't run something that autokills because it is using cpu/battery to kill tasks that are sitting in idly memory (idle equals not using cpu/battery)
-don't click a widget 50 times/day to kill tasks because you're wasting your time--let the OS handle it
-don't kill tasks by hand because you might cause problems. This is especially the case when killing apps that come with the phone. The stock apps, for the most part, should be left alone.

All that being said, if you have a problem with an app freezing up you have choices:
-uninstall it and contact the dev
-reboot
-kill the task manually

So yes, sometimes it is a good idea to kill a task, just like using Ctrl+Alt+Del on a Windows machine. However, ideally, this shouldn't be done all the time. If you have to do it all the time, there's a problem with the app and the app's dev needs to be notified.

OP
Fonzz

Fonzz

Reaction score
Fonz. Not talking about the network, but more the automatic switching of networks by the phone. If you have both wifi and mobile data active, you may get spurts of lock ups from time to time simply because the device is seeking the better network.

Titanium will save your Data on the game so you can wipe and restore your progress, score etc.

So is there some way to "turn off" the mobile network while I use wi-fi so it does not try to seek "a better network"?
Titanium sounds nice but I still don't know where to get it, how to use it etc...

All that being said, if you have a problem with an app freezing up you have choices:
-uninstall it and contact the dev
-reboot
-kill the task manually

I've been looking over the developers website; judging from the comments there, it looks like I have a better chance at dating a supermodel than getting an answer from them, oh well. ◄ I REALLY hope everyone sees this as it was good advice to "contact the developer" but I'm sure that I'm not going to get help that way, so PLEASE, no more telling me to contact them.

-reboot?? Using a task killer will be much faster that a re-boot..

"-kill the task manually" is there a way to do this without a task killer? I was looking for a way to do it as stated in the original post.

Last edited by a moderator:

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd find out what app is conflicting. It's a poorly written app or a bad install somewhere.

Uninstall the game, reboot, re-install.

If that don't work I'd factory reset your device.

OP
Fonzz

Fonzz

Reaction score
I'd find out what app is conflicting. It's a poorly written app or a bad install somewhere.

Uninstall the game, reboot, re-install.

If that don't work I'd factory reset your device.

I would just love to find out which app is conflicting! How do I find out??

Wouldn't a factory reset involve re-installing all my apps etc.?
if so, no way! I like the game alot but not that much.

I'd need detailed instructions from someone to save all of this game's settings/achievements before I would consider a re-install...

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend restoring any saved settings or achievements from the game.

That's why I mentioned a fresh install. Wouldn't want to re-introduce anything that may/or may not be corrupted.

No way to tell what app could be causing an issue, if it is another app at all.

Like I said.... uninstall and reinstall the game.

Erasing the achievements will give ya something to do :)

OP
Fonzz

Fonzz

Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend restoring any saved settings or achievements from the game.

That's why I mentioned a fresh install. Wouldn't want to re-introduce anything that may/or may not be corrupted.

No way to tell what app could be causing an issue, if it is another app at all.

Like I said.... uninstall and reinstall the game.

Erasing the achievements will give ya something to do :)

This sounds like good advice indeed.
However, like I said, I like the game alot but not that much...

/Thread

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
<thread>

I have a better chance at banging a supermodel than getting an answer from them, oh well.
Come on...you're the FONZ. Ayyyyy!

no more telling me to contact them.

Contact them!

-reboot?? Using a task killer will be much faster that a re-boot..

I agree. I was just giving you your options.

"-kill the task manually" is there a way to do this without a task killer? I was looking for a way to do it as stated in the original post.

You went to running services to kill the app. The game is not a service. Try settings > applications > manage applications > all

Still, you could use an app like System Panel and zap the app. System Panel could be considered a "manual task killer" but it could also be considered a "process viewer". There's nothing inherently wrong with a task killer if it just mimics settings > applications > manage applications > (menu > filter on pre 2.2) > All

Last edited:

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I also have Raging Thunder on stock Froyo with no Task Killer. The game does not freeze and starts every time without a blank screen. Maybe some app is in conflict with it.

I'm jealous! It would be nice to know why/what, if I can't get an answer, task killer goes back...

Should I try un-installing and then re-installing the game?
Also, I think many, many others may be having the same problem with this game judging by the comments during game play and the number of racers who "retire" during a race for no reason, even when they're leading, so re-install probably won't work IMO.

I apologize, I didn't notice that you were playing the paid version and online. I'm doing neither so that's one reason I'm not having your problem.

Looking at the other posts it does sound like an issue with it receiving a signal from either 3G or Wifi. Try doing single player to see if the game's running fine.