Question on rooting the current Droid MAXX, looking to buy a new one.

skifreak

Reaction score
I am considering buying the MAXX mainly because of the battery life. I currently have the Bionic and it lags all the time. What I want to do is be able to root it mainly so I can install Titanium backup before I start using the phone. I have never rooted any phone so if anyone can tell me or point me to the right link to do this, I would appreciate it. It will be the newest one on the Verizon site.

Thanks in advance,
Mark

Vegasdroid33

Reaction score
If the phone has 4.4 KK, there is currently not a root option. If the phone has 4.x JB than there is a root option.

Sent from my DROID MAXX!!!!

Vegasdroid33

Reaction score
If the phone has 4.4 KK, there is currently not a root option. If the phone has 4.x JB, than there is a root option.

Sent from my DROID MAXX!!!!

Einsteindks

Reaction score
You may be SOL, 'cause they've started sending them out with 4.4 on, and that is, as yet, not directly rootable. You may have waited too long. Google searching would've saved you some time.

fat-fingered and Maxx-ed out.

NWKENT

Reaction score
If you can find a XT1080M on JB..then go here, otherwise.. Having Root is NOT an option >>

Simplified, step by step guide to RockMyMoto and SlapMyMoto..Go to Droid Maxx Public Edition..Go to LH top of the page, in red..click there..download the .doc format file..Print, Read..

Go here >> http://waynekent.com/page6.html

sent by my 4.3_14.14.14
XT1028 (aka) Moto-G
The LAST American Cell Phone.!

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Look on swappa. A bunch are for sale, some with 4.2.2 installed.

OP
S

skifreak

Reaction score
Thanks

Look on swappa. A bunch are for sale, some with 4.2.2 installed.

What is the advantage/disadvantage of going to 4.4 (besides not being able to root)?

I haven't bought it yet.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
What is the advantage/disadvantage of going to 4.4 (besides not being able to root)?

I haven't bought it yet.

A few tweaks to the ui. You can select which messaging app you want as default. I went to 4.4 retaining root but if something happens or I boot loop, I'm Sol.

OP
S

skifreak

Reaction score
A few tweaks to the ui. You can select which messaging app you want as default. I went to 4.4 retaining root but if something happens or I boot loop, I'm Sol.

so I should be good with the older version (and I can replace the battery with that one)?

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
Sorry. All the newer Moto Droid phones have non-replaceable batteries. The good news is that I haven't heard of battery problems much with them at all...but that's far from any guarantee.

OP
S

skifreak

Reaction score
Sorry. All the newer Moto Droid phones have non-replaceable batteries. The good news is that I haven't heard of battery problems much with them at all...but that's far from any guarantee.

Yeah I noticed that looking at the Verizon site. The MAXX used to NOT have the battery soldered in it.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Yeah I noticed that looking at the Verizon site. The MAXX used to NOT have the battery soldered in it.

The droid maxx never had a removable battery. droid RAZR maxx did.

Yes, you'll be fine on 4.2.2 with root. Just freeze the ota updater.

OP
S

skifreak

Reaction score
The droid maxx never had a removable battery. droid RAZR maxx did.

Yes, you'll be fine on 4.2.2 with root. Just freeze the ota updater.

cool! and I knew it was a MAXX of some sort that had it.. thanks for the correction. I found one cheaper running JB!

thanks again to everyone!

Einsteindks

Reaction score
Nope, sorry, Droid Razr Maxx also has the non-removeable battery. Good news is that it CAN be done, but you have to be a little tech-y to do it. How-to videos exist, and I would recommended watching at least two, as one will never show you everything. Droids can still be started as though the battery was pulled, called a 'hard' start.

fat-fingered and Maxx-ed out.