Question on restoring a backup

ukyfan

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The other day I was wanting to try out a theme, and decided that I didn't like the way it looked so I booted into recovery and restored the backup I had made before installing the theme. Now should I have wiped the phone before installing my backup? The reason I ask is because before I installed the theme everything was working flawlessly, but now I have a few strange things going on. I have Handcent installed, and have the stock messaging app set to not notify me of test messages, but I still get them and even when I go into the stock app and view them I still have the notification. Also I have Swiftkey set to not to insert whatever word it thinks I want when I press the spacebar, but it is doing it anyway. I was thinking that you only needed to wipe if you were doing a fresh install. So was I wrong? I am going to wipe everything later tonight when I get home and restore the image to see if that helps, but if it doesn't I guess I will just do a fresh install.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Restoring a backup should put the entire contents of your device right back where it was when you originally performed the backup (excluding the SD card) no wipe is needed. It is odd that a few minor settings have been changed.

cielbleu07

Reaction score
also experienced a similar situation where few apps from a theme(incognito) remained after restoring the backup of 'clean' sapphire 1.0.
what i mean by 'clean' is that i did not have any other apps except the stock apps installed after flashing sapphire.
so just decided to wipe the phone and restored the backup. i couldv just deleted those apps in RootEx.
heard that when you change a theme you must wipe the cache not the data.
i think by wiping the cache, it doesnt change the settings after you restore the backup
also you gotta always go back to the stock theme before installing another theme.
so lets say if you have Gala X installed on your phone and you wanna change it to Incognito, you first have to wipe the cache and install the theme mode OR restore the backup (in your case) and then install Incognito.
hope this helps.

OP
ukyfan

ukyfan

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So I need to wipe my cache before I install my backup? Will try that tonight when I get home.
also experienced a similar situation where few apps from a theme(incognito) remained after restoring the backup of 'clean' sapphire 1.0.
what i mean by 'clean' is that i did not have any other apps except the stock apps installed after flashing sapphire.
so just decided to wipe the phone and restored the backup. i couldv just deleted those apps in RootEx.
heard that when you change a theme you must wipe the cache not the data.
i think by wiping the cache, it doesnt change the settings after you restore the backup
also you gotta always go back to the stock theme before installing another theme.
so lets say if you have Gala X installed on your phone and you wanna change it to Incognito, you first have to wipe the cache and install the theme mode OR restore the backup (in your case) and then install Incognito.
hope this helps.

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
I have always made it a habit to wipe data and cache before restoring a backup. This way if your are basically going between theme setups then you are making sure all of the prior setup and theme are erased before restoring the other theme. It maybe overkill but I have had great luck with this process and no issues upon reboot.

OP
ukyfan

ukyfan

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well I went ahead and wiped the data and cache before restoring my backup, and so far everything looks to be much more stable. Thanks all for your help. Lesson learned!