Question on 4g coverage

mrmark27

Reaction score
For those of you that already have a 4g phone, how accurate are the coverage maps that Verizon lists on their website? I just checked the map and it looks like their coverage in my area has expanded and now my house just barely falls under the "extended 4g coverage" area but I was wondering if I would reliably be able to get 4g signal at home. Its not a deal breaker for me since I would have my wifi at home if needed and where the 4g is really important, at work, we're right in the middle of a full 4g coverage area. I was just curious as to how accurate these maps are since it looks like i'm right on the border, if I left my house and went maybe a mile down the road i'd be leaving the extended 4g area.

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think this question will be better answered in the General Droid Discussion area.

Post has been moved.

OP
M

mrmark27

Reaction score
ahh, sorry about that, i've just been reading the nexus forum lately and didn't think to post it somewhere else.

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No Prob!!

Just figured more would see the thread and a better chance of someone who already has a 4G

Droid X Doug

Reaction score
My experience primarily on the S.F. peninsula is that the VZW coverage maps are more accurate than the Sprint maps are. If you are on the edge of a coverage map, you may see intermittent coverage. In any event, 4G can be addicting, so if you have a high speed cable service at home, I would use that when at home. Otherwise, you will hit the plan limits (with resulting throttling or overcharges) real fast.

OP
M

mrmark27

Reaction score
sweet thanks. i have unlimited data(dating back to my envy touch from back in like '07) but im def curious to see how the 4g speeds are tomorrow with the nexus. hopefully, there arent too many 4g users in my area and i can get some really kickass speeds.

Droid X Doug

Reaction score
sweet thanks. i have unlimited data(dating back to my envy touch from back in like '07) but im def curious to see how the 4g speeds are tomorrow with the nexus. hopefully, there arent too many 4g users in my area and i can get some really kickass speeds.
The 'normal' speed I have seen in many areas of the S.F. Peninsula has been around 20+ mb/s down. The highest I have seen has been 26 mb/s down. This speed is faster than my Comcast cable modem service.