[Question] Best ROM for using low amount of RAM for system

chargedbird

Reaction score
I have a question about ROMs for the Droid 1. Is there a ROM that uses less RAM memory then stock or CyanogenMod (7.1)?

I used stock 2.3.3 for a few days, just to try it out. Then flashed CyanogenMod and that has been the only ROM I used. First I used it with the included kernel, then I flashed Peter Alfonso v0.3 SV kernel, great kernel, no issues, 5 slot, sd-ext4 support, described as "Lightweight, stripped of unneeded features".

I like Gingerbread and would prefer it over Froyo. So has anyone tested more ROMs and compared their RAM usage?

I am working to write the full specs of a system with the BEST possible setup for our low-memory phones. I managed to load 250 apps on my phone, with 45 RAM free at startup (widgets and services running), OC'd 1.1Mhz, and a Quadrant score of 1160. I think that's pretty good!

My first tip (with more to come) is getting rid of Go Launcher or ADW in favor of a more lightweight launcher - I am using Nemus Launcher - AWESOME - memory for Go Launcher was 27Mb and Nemus is only using 17Mb maximum, at times as low as 12Mb. Go Launcher could not handle 250 apps it froze on every startup. Nemus handles all those apps with no issues, loads fast, stays in memory, and never freezes. The only features missing are screen transitions and Go Launcher has better looking folders. I installed Folder Organizer and it is the best app for organizing apps into folders (including Folders with sub-folders). Other lightweight Launchers are Zeam by xda (had trouble with my wallpapers) and the super-stripped down Lightning Launcher which uses about 5-10Mb RAM but is really lacking on features including multi-screens.

Tip 2- never use compcache - NEVER. It will slow down all your apps. Better using a swap part if needed.

So if anyone can help me decide if there is a better ROM I could be using. I don't want to start flashing dozens of ROM, setting up all my apps and tweaks with each and trying all of them. Liquid Smooth, Simply Stunning, Project Elite, Pete's Sholes, others???

Thanks.

Durandgir

Reaction score
I highly highly HIGHLY recommend Steel Droid by Chevycam94, his GB roms are extremely fast, his latest builds I would always have around 80mb free and it's a GB rom. If you are still on the D1 there is currently no better rom, I ran Steel Droid up until I got the Nexus. Plus it's still being developed for the D1 :)