Question about warranty and root

CD95YJ

Reaction score
I know the supreme court recently ruled on the iphone jailbreak issue stating basically it isn't againt the law and at&t and apple have to honor the phone warranty unless they can prove it was jailbreaking that ruined the phone. Wouldn't that same ruling apply to us in regards to root? Basically wouldn't vzw or what ever carrier have to honor the warranty unless they could prove it was rooting that ruined the phone?

I'll try to find a link to the supreme courts decision so ya'll can read it.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
CD95YJ

CD95YJ

Reaction score
Ahh, guess my iphone friends are wrong. Apple can still void the warranty if they find the phone is jailbroken, they just cannot sue for changing the software.

gunz.jones

Reaction score
The thing about the product plan from vzw I found the most appealing is the lost or stolen and water damage coverage....really, unless you are a habitual phone killer, rooting voids a warranty that flashing with sbf can cover up. The ipod can be done the same way. Sorry, iphone. Same diff. You can flash back to the stock software, removing root and the jailbreak if the phone works enough for that. Iphone if I remember didn't get insurance through their horrible carrier of choice I dunno of that changed, so it could be sketchy. The whole idea is that Apple is trying to prevent what happened when it all started in having pieces of their software tampered, removed, or stolen. That's why they bedded with Intel for pc's. Keep it proprietary and simple while putting them in control.