Question about the 3G network

baldybill

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been posted before:

Are the 4G phones losing 3G ONLY on the 4G network?

I'm in the middle of no where, I believe we ONLY have a 3G network, and no 4G network.

If I got a 4G phone, would it be losing the 3G on our 3G network when the nationwide 4G network went down?
Or not, since we don't get 4G here?

Here's something else, I believe my 4G LTE Mifi box worked fine the entire time during the outage yesterday.

Raw Dodge

Reaction score
From my experiences...you will lose data a lot more than on a 3g phone

If your in the middle of no where, do not go with a 4g phone! I've had to pull into places with free wifi with my Razr to send or receive important emails.....because I can't get data....while my fiance is next to me with her iPhone and full 3g....very annoying.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

OP
B

baldybill

Reaction score
Can anyone else verify this one way or the other?
Or point me to a good resource?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
When data got screwy a week ago both 4g and 3g didn't work. Yesterday's incident some said they had 3g, but for me it was spotty, either worked or didn't at certain times.

A 3g only phone connects to the more stable towers. I never had loss of data with my Incredible when I had it for a year. 2 weeks with my Nexus and the network goes down a total of 18hrs on me:angry:

silvertone3

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been posted before:

Are the 4G phones losing 3G ONLY on the 4G network?

I'm in the middle of no where, I believe we ONLY have a 3G network, and no 4G network.

If I got a 4G phone, would it be losing the 3G on our 3G network when the nationwide 4G network went down?
Or not, since we don't get 4G here?

Here's something else, I believe my 4G LTE Mifi box worked fine the entire time during the outage yesterday.
Having a Tbolt & Rezound I can say they both can be forced to run on 3g only with no problems with only a setting change. I believe they are the only ones that can do voice & data on 3g.I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. If there's 4g close by, or you travel, You might want to consider a Rezound and have the best of both worlds. Just my .02

PatG

Reaction score
I live in a 4g area an am considering the Razr. I still have the original Droid and am ready for a new phone. So the options are the Razr and Incredible 2. It seems going with a newer phone would be better. I don't use my phone a whole lot during the day. I was planning to turn 4g on and off when I want to use it. There's got to be a quick setting??

So how stable is the Razr if you keep 4g off?

Raw Dodge

Reaction score
Keeping 4g off doesn't help stability at all on a razr or bionic... Cant speak for the others... Bottom line is if you go from your Og droid to any 4 g phone your calls and sms will remain great... However you need to be ready to live with having no data sporadically and not being able to send or receive mms or use google speak to text... As it uses data ... For a month I couldn't figure out why that wasn't working and the answer is it needs a working data connection... Something not consistently available for me with the Razr...evein 3 g only mode.

Raw Dodge

Reaction score
Installed the leaked 2.3.6 on Thursday night and so far I'm noticing a definite improvement in data connection ...most of my data is still on 3g....so I just leave it on CDMA only ...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk