question about partitioning your sd card and roms

ninja12

Reaction score
I was messing with my phone today. I was trying to get a certain boot animation to work with my phone. Nothing was working. I never got it to work, but it brought me to a new question.

I saw in the recovery reboot that there was an option to partition one's sdcard. Well I was thinking would it be possible to dual boot. I have a droid 2 global which is currently running fission 2.4.3 with tag launcher and blue matrix live background. Say I wanted to try another rom without having to install over my fission one. Could I get an large sdcard and partition it, and install the liberty 2.0 rom on the second partition and some how select between which one I would want to use. Would it be doable?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
ineresting concept but i'm quite sure it isn't possible. not sure what the point of partitioning the card is though.

OP
N

ninja12

Reaction score
I though custom roms were installed on the sdcard. Now, that i think more into it; they are downloaded to the sdcard and then flashed to the phone via the droid 2 bootstrapper, right?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
yeah exactly. the firmware is all stored on and booted from the internal memory.

edit: i know that on a pc you can boot an os from an external storage device like a thumb drive or a cd, i've done it with different linux distros, i just don't think it can be done here.

OP
N

ninja12

Reaction score
I had a feeling that this was the way it would turn out. I was just putting it out there . . . . . food for thought.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
it's definitely an interesting idea, and i wouldn't count it out just yet. i've never seen anything about it but maybe in the future.

Ultim8gamr

Reaction score
I've been wanting to do something like a Dual boot for months. Even asked Koush and JRummy about it but never got a response. Partitioning SD wouldn't seem to work as the internal memory is where it's all stored and boots from. Perhaps with a custom kernel it could be done?