Question about overclock apps Droid x

bje1982

Reaction score
I guess I'm confused on how some of these overclock apps work without flashing a new kernal. I want to overclock and can't figure why setcpu would only let me to 1ghz but another app I can go up to 1.3? Could anyone help me understand? Sorry if I posted wrong.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

echonaut

Reaction score
SetCPU only changes the clockspeed based on what your kernel allows -- it doesn't change anything with in the kernel, nor does it actually enable the overclocking to occur. In order to do that, you'll have to use another program.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.jrummy.droidx.overclock&feature=search_result and https://market.android.com/details?id=pt.com.darksun.milestoneoverclock&feature=search_result are two options -- I personally use Milestone Overclock, because it's free, but I know a lot of people who use Droid Overclock; I think it allows for faster overclocks. There might be one or two more, but these are two that I know for-sure work.

These programs work by enabling a kernel module -- basically an add-on for the kernel, something that sits outside of the boot partition and 'plugs in' to the kernel, which is then a work-around to the fact that the kernel can't be changed. Once these programs are enabled, you'll be able to use SetCPU to change the clock speed on the phone.

You will, of course, need root in order to use these programs.

OP
bje1982

bje1982

Reaction score
SetCPU only changes the clockspeed based on what your kernel allows -- it doesn't change anything with in the kernel, nor does it actually enable the overclocking to occur. In order to do that, you'll have to use another program.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.jrummy.droidx.overclock&feature=search_result and https://market.android.com/details?id=pt.com.darksun.milestoneoverclock&feature=search_result are two options -- I personally use Milestone Overclock, because it's free, but I know a lot of people who use Droid Overclock; I think it allows for faster overclocks. There might be one or two more, but these are two that I know for-sure work.

These programs work by enabling a kernel module -- basically an add-on for the kernel, something that sits outside of the boot partition and 'plugs in' to the kernel, which is then a work-around to the fact that the kernel can't be changed. Once these programs are enabled, you'll be able to use SetCPU to change the clock speed on the phone.

You will, of course, need root in order to use these programs.
Thank you that explains it. And oh yeah I'm rooted and pretty experienced just needed clarification. Kind of like how clockwork recovery is side loaded right? Genius.

Sniper_5

Reaction score
QuickClock Overclock works great and allows you to run a test to find your lowest voltage and highest frequency safely. Google it for the Video or search this site. Well worth it IMO

HayWire

Reaction score
What speed do you have it set on milestone over clock? I just downloaded it but not sure what's a good speed.
Also. I know some of those apps you can under clock. When not in use.. what benefit does that offer?

OP
bje1982

bje1982

Reaction score
What speed do you have it set on milestone over clock? I just downloaded it but not sure what's a good speed.
Also. I know some of those apps you can under clock. When not in use.. what benefit does that offer?
I am using Droid overclock now and using medium voltage 400-1300 on demand. Seems to be working ill run a quadrant.

OP
bje1982

bje1982

Reaction score
Uninstalled app. Wouldn't overclock after waking and was stuck at 400 MHz had to manually readjust. Anyone else using it had this problem? Any ideas?

Sent..

HayWire

Reaction score
I forgot I had bought the other one that runs the tests for you..really I stalled it..after I really installed it how do I know if my phones actually running at the speed it found?

OP
bje1982

bje1982

Reaction score
I forgot I had bought the other one that runs the tests for you..really I stalled it..after I really installed it how do I know if my phones actually running at the speed it found?

You could download quadrant standard to test different speeds

Sent ..

OP
bje1982

bje1982

Reaction score
What's the x out of the box speed supposed to be?

Supposed to be clocked at 1ghz. When you run quadrant it will show you a bar graph of where your supposed to be speed wise.

OP
bje1982

bje1982

Reaction score
Any ideas why after I unlock my phone my phone doesn't overclock itself again almost like the profile stays?

Sent...