Question about Droid 2 Global

kyle4150

Reaction score
I am fixing to go from the Droid 1 to the Droid 2 Global and i'm really confused on how the global part works. I do travel out of the country 5 or 6 times a year so this is something that i need to understand. Do i have to do anything special to my phone to make it work when i travel outside the country. I have heard alot of talk about unlocking the phone but i dont understand what that means and if that is something that has to be done for it work outside the USA. Would someone please explain to me what i need to do to have phone service outside the USA and if unlocking the phone is something i have to do. Thanks...........

silver6054

Reaction score
I am fixing to go from the Droid 1 to the Droid 2 Global and i'm really confused on how the global part works. I do travel out of the country 5 or 6 times a year so this is something that i need to understand. Do i have to do anything special to my phone to make it work when i travel outside the country. I have heard alot of talk about unlocking the phone but i dont understand what that means and if that is something that has to be done for it work outside the USA. Would someone please explain to me what i need to do to have phone service outside the USA and if unlocking the phone is something i have to do. Thanks...........

There are two choices, using the Vodafone SIM, which means you need to call Global Services to get the SIM activated and be put on the global plan, or use a local SIM, in which case you need to get one and get the phone unlocked. Verizon will do the unlocking if you are a customer in good standing, and, if they won't, there are places on the web to get it unlocked.

With the new pricing, if you are paying yourself, using the Vodafone SIM is now unattractive. It is convenient though if you are going to several countries and/or it is important to be accessible on your US number while abroad.

Depending where you go, you can buy a SIM while still here, (single or multi-country) or get one when you arrive. Generally it is cheaper to get one when you arrive, but if you get it before you can inform people of your new telephone number.

Last edited:
OP
K

kyle4150

Reaction score
so you are saying that it would be better to try and get the phone unlocked because of the global pricing. If i did get the card unlocked would everything still work as normal when i am in the usa. Sorry i got so many questions but i really don't understand all this global stuff. You also mentioned something about my u.s number so what do you mean about that. Will i not be able to use my regular number if i unlock the phone or go global through verzion. Sorry i'm not understanding. Thanks

silver6054

Reaction score
so you are saying that it would be better to try and get the phone unlocked because of the global pricing. If i did get the card unlocked would everything still work as normal when i am in the usa. Sorry i got so many questions but i really don't understand all this global stuff. You also mentioned something about my u.s number so what do you mean about that. Will i not be able to use my regular number if i unlock the phone or go global through verzion. Sorry i'm not understanding. Thanks
In the US, you use Verizon's standard CDMA network. All the international features work on a different network technology (GSM) and anything you do there doesn't impact use in the US, so unlocking the phone makes no difference to how it works in the US.

Re phone number: If you stick with the SIM that comes with the phone (and activate it and add a global plan), then you keep your US phone number while you are abroad. So people can call you with your usual number.

In the GSM world, the phone number belongs to the SIM card, and not to the phone (which is why GSM users can transfer their card from phone to phone, keeping their plan, their contacts etc). So, if, for cost reasons, you unlock the phone and use a different SIM card, you will have a different phone number, which you will need to communicate to people who need to call you (or forward your US number to it but this may not be possible as forwarding to an international number may be blocked).

The only SIM card the allows you to keep your US number is the one that comes with the phone.

So, in summary:

1) Use the SIM card that comes with the phone:
Pros:
a) Same phone number
b) Easy: no need to shop around and obtain other SIMs
c) works nearly everywhere
Disadvantage:
Now expensive for both data and calling

2) Use other SIM
Pro: cost, generally much cheaper to use
Disadvantages:
a) Need to get phone unlocked
b) need to shop and find SIMs. Might be complex in various countries where SIM registration will require passport and other documents
c) May need multiple SIMs if going to several countries, or a regional SIM, which reduces the cost benefits.

So, if you don't expect to use almost any data or calling, or someone else is paying, going with the existing SIM is easy. If you plan to stay in one country for a while, or expect to return there, it is certainly worth doing the research and getting the SIM. I save about 95% on call and data charges doing this.

Hope that helps.

OP
K

kyle4150

Reaction score
silver6054,
Thanks for explain this to me i understand it much better now, but if you have verizon to unlock the phone and you go to another country can you still use the factory card if other sim cards was hard to find or you just had a change of heart.

silver6054

Reaction score
silver6054,
Thanks for explain this to me i understand it much better now, but if you have verizon to unlock the phone and you go to another country can you still use the factory card if other sim cards was hard to find or you just had a change of heart.

Yes, not a problem. Unlocking the phone gives you the option to use other cards, but you can still use the factory one.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Just be sure to have this setup before you leave the US....
Seems most have problems if this is not done prior to travel.