Question about changing GV number

GadgetRick

Reaction score
So I've had a GV number since very early. I've since moved to a different state and it would be good if I were able to change the number, however, so many people have my number and I don't want them to not be able to get in touch with me. I'm wondering if there's a way to get a new number and have calls made to my previous number forwarded to my new number.

I know I can change the number, and I've seen some things about forwarding but they all seemed fairly temporary. I don't need it permanently (don't expect them to keep a number forever if I'm not using it) but I'd like it for a while (say about a year maybe).

Anyone have any ideas on whether I can do this and, if so, how I can do it?

Thanks.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Google would have to provide the forwarding. If it's possible it should be mentioned in the GV number change documentation. Are you unable to notify your contacts about number changes? A lot of people that I know don't even bother with changing their number if they move.

From http://googlevoiceblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/need-new-number.html (found by searching GV help, emphasis added):
Because changing phone number is rarely a smooth process -people to notify, forms to update, etc.. - we have added a few extra touches to make the process as painless as possible. After you pick a new number, it will become effective right away, but your old number will keep working for another three months, so you have time to update everyone. During that period, calls and SMS to both numbers will show in your account. And before your old number expires, we'll let you know who's still calling it so you can update them individually.

Last edited:
OP
G

GadgetRick

Reaction score
Google would have to provide the forwarding. If it's possible it should be mentioned in the GV number change documentation. Are you unable to notify your contacts about number changes? A lot of people that I know don't even bother with changing their number if they move.

From Google Voice Blog: Need a new number? (found by searching GV help, emphasis added):
Well, I hadn't changed the number (been here since October) but I'm in sales and a local area code wouldn't hurt.

It would be next to impossible to let everyone know about my new number. I don't even know who all has it as I've been in sales for a number of years and I also have a photography business which has used this number since I've had it. Just not something which is (logistically) possible.

OP
G

GadgetRick

Reaction score
Anyone?

This is my only major complaint about Android and Google, there isn't a tech support number you can call for an answer (even if you'd have to wait forever). So I'm at a loss with things like this as well as the syncing problem I'm having with Gmail at the moment.

Thanks.

anuraj1

Reaction score
When I changed my GV number, the previous number continued to work. I looked it up at the time and the previous GV number works for 90 days.

OP
G

GadgetRick

Reaction score
When I changed my GV number, the previous number continued to work. I looked it up at the time and the previous GV number works for 90 days.

That's good to know. Unfortunately, I need the number to work and have calls forwarded to the new number. :(