Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 "Krait" Blows Up Benchmarks

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
kraitbench.jpeg

Qualcomms Snapdragon S4 is by far the most talked about SoC outside of Nvidia's Tegra 3 and it just got benchmarked. The new chipset delivered more than twice the CPU power of any currently-shipping chipset in some tests and with comments like this, from AnandTech, it leaves us wanting to see more:
We've gone over basically all of the benchmarks available to us on Android right now, and yet subjective performance impressions are still valuable. The MDP8960 is the absolute fastest we've seen Ice Cream Sandwich thus far - the UI is absolutely butter smooth everywhere, and web browsing in either Chrome or the stock Android Browser is also the smoothest we've seen it. There's no stutter bringing up the application switcher, or taking screenshots, two places that 4.0.3 still drops frames on the Galaxy Nexus.

The only real "negative" is that Qualcomm chose to use the Adreno 225 GPU rather than wait for the Adreno 3xx series to be ready. The 225 performs well, but it's more akin to what we’re seeing in current devices. The S4 roughly comes in right alongside the Apple A5. The first Snapdragon S4's are expected to ship Q2 2012 and will more than likely get some "face time" at MWC 2012. For the full benchmark of this awesome SoC, head on over to AnandTech.

Source: AnandTech

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Yea, if you have an upgrade coming up soon, wait for the Krait phones. Fast! The Intel cpu's should smoke as well!

GBH2

Reaction score
Krait looks very impressive. I am looking forward to see how it will compare to TI OMAP 5430 (dual core A15). They should both be a step up from Tegra 3.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I read that whole article from the source and I am pumped! My favorite quote: You're looking at a generational gap in architecture here, not simply a clock bump.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
One thing about the krait IIRC is the LTE battery drain won't be so bad? That alone is enough to hold out. Luckily I have an upgrade available... I can have fun with my razr and rezound and wait on the next wave of super phones.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I read that whole article from the source and I am pumped! My favorite quote: You're looking at a generational gap in architecture here, not simply a clock bump.

Hmmmm....thought I might go at least 3 yrs with my Rezound, now looking like I'll be itching to upgrade inside of 12 months.

Hmong_Xiong

Reaction score
Oh wow! Screw Nexus, Razr, whatever phone I was planning to upgrade to, I'm gonna wait do this baby

Motorola Droid 2: CyanogenMod 9

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yesh. this + TI radio chipset = lower battery drain and extra space for mah battriez. I'm glad my upgrade won't be coming until the end of the year.