Push advertising: notification ads, unwanted shortcuts, browsers redirected etc...

mia0612

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Apparently, I have this common problem on my Samsung Galaxy S3: 'Unwanted' Apps shortcuts/notifications/re-directions (to games, anti-virus softwares etc...) keep installing/appearing on my home screen! Quite irritating!

At first, I uninstalled all those games which I suspected are responsible for these shortcuts. To no avail. The shortcuts kept coming.

Then I obviously checked out on the internet for some solutions. There were some to help:
1) Playstore > Settings > Tick off 'Auto-add Widget' .... It didn't work! :(
2) Install either Airpush Detector or Addons Detector. ..... I installed BOTH of them, several scans were run, I disabled the 'notifications' feature from most of the apps I downloaded, and uninstalled more apps. But the apps shortcuts kept on coming! *It is really annoying*.

Honestly, I don't know what else to do! It is driving me crazy! :mad: Do you think that if I give a format (or anything similar) to my mobile it will work? Or can anyone please suggest any help! MUCH APPRECIATED! :) :)

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
It will auto ad a shortcut when you download a new app. I'm sure there is a setting for it not to do this but I never checked, I just delete the shortcut. I'm sure someone can ad some more insight. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Welcome to the forum.. Ok so you unchecked the playstore.. What home launcher are you using?
If using Nova you will need to go to Nova settings /New app / uncheck auto app shortcuts as well

N2 Tap'd

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Do you have an any anti virus app that YOU installed? If not you might want to conmsider that, or a firewall app.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.. Ok so you unchecked the playstore.. What home launcher are you using?
If using Nova you will need to go to Nova settings /New app / uncheck auto app shortcuts as well

N2 Tap'd

Thanks I was wondering the same thing. Nova is brilliant on the GN2!

I have a huge collection of live wallpapers, and some bring all kinds stuff with them.

from my spanking new Samsung Note 2

Last edited:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
If they are shortcuts/icons for apps that you have installed on your phone, then as already mentioned, disabling the auto add shortcut feature in play store should fix it. If they are shortcuts/icons for apps/things you do not have installed on your phone, then it is an app that is pushing advertising. Apps have several ways to push advertising. The most common is advertising within the app but some do so via shortcuts and notifications. Most free apps use advertising. It's how they make money.

Probably the best way to discover which app is the culprit is by going to play store-> then slide to “all apps." It will show a list of all the apps you have installed (whether they are installed or not), with the most recently added apps at the top of the list. Starting at the top, uninstall some recently added apps. Give it a day. If the ads stop, then one of those apps you uninstalled is the culprit. Once the ads stop, go ahead and add the apps back one at a time. Wait between adding each one. If no push ads, then the app is good to go. If you start getting push ads after adding an app, you've got your villain.

sent from my Note2 using tapatalk 4 beta

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If they are shortcuts/icons for apps that you have installed on your phone, then as already mentioned, disabling the auto add shortcut feature in play store should fix it. If they are shortcuts/icons for apps/things you do not have installed on your phone, then it is an app that is pushing advertising. Apps have several ways to push advertising. The most common is advertising within the app but some do so via shortcuts and notifications. Most free apps use advertising. It's how they make money.

Probably the best way to discover which app is the culprit is by going to play store-> then slide to “all apps." It will show a list of all the apps you have installed (whether they are installed or not), with the most recently added apps at the top of the list. Starting at the top, uninstall some recently added apps. Give it a day. If the ads stop, then one of those apps you uninstalled is the culprit. Once the ads stop, go ahead and add the apps back one at a time. Wait between adding each one. If no push ads, then the app is good to go. If you start getting push ads after adding an app, you've got your villain.

Also may I suggest before you uninstall whichever brings ads back to please go to the Play Store, review it with a warning to others that it spams your device. The only way to make developers change their ad revenue method is take away their ability to get the revenue by not using their apps.

Support Our Troops! !!!
<><
From a Beano

OP
mia0612

mia0612

Reaction score

N2 Tap'd

I am using the standard launcher.... I haven't installed the Nova yet! :)

OP
mia0612

mia0612

Reaction score

Thank you!! Excellent help! :)

OP
mia0612

mia0612

Reaction score
Also may I suggest before you uninstall whichever brings ads back to please go to the Play Store, review it with a warning to others that it spams your device. The only way to make developers change their ad revenue method is take away their ability to get the revenue by not using their apps.

Support Our Troops! !!!
<><
From a Beano

I will do! thank you!!!! :)

OP
mia0612

mia0612

Reaction score
Thank you all for your much helping assistance!
So far I have uninstalled some apps, and now the shortcuts have gone! :D I guess that yes, you have to give some time after you uninstall an app to see whether the shortcuts will be gone for good! From now on I will only install apps one by one! So that if shortcuts return, I will know exactly which app did that ;)
Thank you once again guys! :D

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Super! Glad we could help. And great idea, installing one app at a time. Sometimes I forget that and then find myself backtracking to get rid of the one app that is littering my homescreen with ads.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
That may also be a good reason to reconsider auto updating apps.

I killed auto update last year for everything when Verizon sent out the broken version Maps,I believe was the app, that was turning Rezound phones into hot bricks . Before I used to have auto update set for all but the ones I had set to manual, like bloatware ones.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post