Proud Owner of a new Droid

Slider46

Reaction score
I had been planning on upgrading to a Droid the next time my contract was up but a month before that occurred, I dropped and damaged my old LG flip phone. Went to the Verizon store and they said I had two options. Either pay $50 and get a replacement shipped to me or wait a month and then do my 'new every two' and get a new phone.

I figured, why wait? I talked them into letting me upgrade right then on the condition that I would lose the $50 credit towards a new phone. (No big deal, i'd rather pay $50 and have a new phone).

Got myself a nice rubberized/hard shell and holster combo and some screen protectors paid about $350 in the store after upgrading my plan, more than I wanted to spend but I didn't care - I got a Droid :)

I'm very impressed with the phone overall. Its a lot more useful than I had originally thought.

So far i've rooted the phone, installed SPRecovery and tried two ROMs - Smoked Glass 5.0 and DroidMod 1.0 with MetaMorph Smoked Glass theme and made 3 image backups (one for each ROM and one stock).

I'm very new to this Linux based stuff so the rooting and such was a challenge at first but once I got the hang of it, things started to make more sense.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Slider, glad they worked with you to get the new Droid a month earlier. If you'd have paid the $50 for another LG Flip phone, it would not have been new anyway.

Hope you enjoy DF and good to see you're already rooting. Lots of info here and nice people too.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I had been planning on upgrading to a Droid the next time my contract was up but a month before that occurred, I dropped and damaged my old LG flip phone. Went to the Verizon store and they said I had two options. Either pay $50 and get a replacement shipped to me or wait a month and then do my 'new every two' and get a new phone.

I figured, why wait? I talked them into letting me upgrade right then on the condition that I would lose the $50 credit towards a new phone. (No big deal, i'd rather pay $50 and have a new phone).

Got myself a nice rubberized/hard shell and holster combo and some screen protectors paid about $350 in the store after upgrading my plan, more than I wanted to spend but I didn't care - I got a Droid :)

I'm very impressed with the phone overall. Its a lot more useful than I had originally thought.

So far i've rooted the phone, installed SPRecovery and tried two ROMs - Smoked Glass 5.0 and DroidMod 1.0 with MetaMorph Smoked Glass theme and made 3 image backups (one for each ROM and one stock).

I'm very new to this Linux based stuff so the rooting and such was a challenge at first but once I got the hang of it, things started to make more sense.

Great phone, great info here, great people here. Glad you joined and enjoy the phone and this site.

OP
S

Slider46

Reaction score
Thanks! I found a ton of information on this site while I was researching rooting and such. Hope to learn even more. Its amazing how today's phones are basically mini computers.

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Thanks! I found a ton of information on this site while I was researching rooting and such. Hope to learn even more. Its amazing how today's phones are basically mini computers.

Welcome to the obsession, Slider46!