Pros and Cons of Rooting?

Jeremyan2

Reaction score
Please don't bash me, I'm new to the world of droids, the droid X being my first experience and I already hit up Google for the pros and cons of rooting but all I'm finding is a bunch of how-to articles. Can someone just briefly tell me what exactly the primary pros and cons of rooting are? I'm semi tech savvy and feel I can grasp the concept of actually doing this but I just want to know why and if it's worth doing! Thanks in advance!

shmoo

Reaction score
Right now the only real pro for rooting your X is because you can. The X has a locked bootloader which won't allow custom kernels and ROMS to be loaded. Now for rooting in general depending on who you talk to you're going to get different answers. The main pros for rooting say the oridgnal droid are we can load up custom ROMS that have other feeatures added in that weren't originally there or even available. You can also load an overclock kernel which will let run your droid at a faster pace. There's themes that can be loaded on to your phone as well so that you can get rid of that ugly gray status bar, and also allow you to change txt color and style. The only downfall is it voids your warranty, which most of us are ok with because we can unroot and go back to stock if we need to take it in to vzw. Hope this answered some questions for ya

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
I think I read somewhere that if you root the X you can use the wifi tether app.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
J

Jeremyan2

Reaction score
droid x can potentially be faster????! lol, thanks for the explanation, definitely appreciated, I suppose I'll wait for now.

Acon120

Reaction score
so, once the phone is rooted the warranty is voided forever and there is no going back? Also, if rooted and then unrooted and taken into vzw they can still help you and potentially fix something that goes wrong if need be? Contemplating rooting but the warranty loss is scary. Thank s for the help, love the Droid X.