Programming chain dialing in Galaxy S4

ocdhope

Reaction score
I recently migrated from the iPhone to the Galaxy S4. When retrieving business voice mail messages from an external business voice mail system, I must call an access number, then follow voice prompts that request PIN numbers and mailbox numbers. I would like to be able to program within ''contacts," an entry titled "Office voice mail" that executes chain of commands that enable the phone to automatically dial number sequences with a single touch. I have been able to do with with every smartphone and calling device I've owned for the past 15 years. Can someone please advise which dialer keys on the Galaxy S4 that correspond to "pause" and which key will enter programmable PIN numbers and authorization codes.

jmmailin

Reaction score
Programming Pauses & chain dialing on Galaxy S3 -and 4?

This works on S3, and should on S4 as well:

When you're entering a number on the S3 - no commas are visible on the keypad, when entering a number the first time or you go back to the contact, hit menu key and select EDIT, then hit the lower left key showing *#(

THAT will bring up special character keypad with the comma, as well as keys specifically labelled "Pause"- which is I think 2 seconds, as opposed to 1 second for each comma, and "Wait", which will presumably halt the chain dial until some response is received. The 123 key will take you back to the standard number pad, and you will probably have to switch back and forth from numbers to the special key pad a few times.

VeroK

Reaction score
Actually, it is a little different on the S4:
Go to "edit contact"
Click in the phone number to edit
The dial pad shows up. Click on "Sym" on the middle right. This changes the dial pad into a dial pad with the pause and Wait functions. Just add them to your entry and type the pin and save the number.

I find adding a "wait" more useful than adding "pause", because "wait" dials the first number, then pops up a window asking you: "do you want to send the following tones?". yes/no?
Using the "wait" trick; you don't have to know exactly when to dial the other numbers (how long the pause should be). You just wait for the voice menu to ask you and then send the next batch of pre-progammed digits. Is less confusing for the voicemail systems.
For example, I use this to call my family overseas with a calling card:
In the Contacts menu, I added a phone number for my folks called: Noble call (Noble being the calling card company). In that field, I typed:
8003679241;xxxxxxxxxx;011############
where:
the 800 number is the access number for the calling card
xxxxxx: my pin number for the calling card
#####: Full phone number for my family, including the country and city code, just as I dial it from a land line.
Now when I dial this number, the phone asks me when to send the xxxx numbers, and after the pin is approved, it asks before sending the #### numbers. Works like a charm.