Problems with email

ljwr

Reaction score
I use GMail (but often get it through the EMail app that came on the phone rather than the GMail App.) Recently I started getting Authentication errors when attempting to send my emails and the emails never go out. I receive emails just fine. I changed my login ID for gmail recently as well, but the authentication error message preceeded the password change by a week or so. What can I do so that I can once again send emails??

CBMGGM

Reaction score
Have you tried to access your email on a computer?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
L

ljwr

Reaction score
Yes. Everything works properly on the computer. Only the phone won't send messages...even to me!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Yes. Everything works properly on the computer. Only the phone won't send messages...even to me!

Did you change your questions for password retrieval as well? I'm just wondering if its possible that your gmail account has been compromised.

sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Short term fix may be to clear the data on your gmail app. Go into settings, applications, manage applications, downloaded, gmail, clear data.

OP
L

ljwr

Reaction score
Thanks, but it didn't work. I still get "notification error sending".

CBMGGM

Reaction score
Try uninstalling & reinstalling the Gmail app.

OP
L

ljwr

Reaction score
1. This is going to sound lame, but I can't find out where to delete the app entirely.

2. Also, I did change the security questions as well as the password as I got a message from Google that possibly the account had been compromised. However, the problems sending began before I got that notification (altho' perhaps after an unusual IP address appeared - once - on the account.) Yet I have no problems sending emails from the computer.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
1. This is going to sound lame, but I can't find out where to delete the app entirely.

2. Also, I did change the security questions as well as the password as I got a message from Google that possibly the account had been compromised. However, the problems sending began before I got that notification (altho' perhaps after an unusual IP address appeared - once - on the account.) Yet I have no problems sending emails from the computer.

Sounds like you were hacked, did you use a public computer to log on to your gmail at some point recently?

OP
L

ljwr

Reaction score
Sounds like you were hacked, did you use a public computer to log on to your gmail at some point recently?

I was traveling recently and used a public (airport) wireless connection. But I guess I still need to know how to delete my gmail app so I can reinstall it and also I'm not sure why the computer gmail works but not the phone. So far I haven't noticed anything squirrely on my gmail (other than this phone problem.)

TatDroid

Reaction score
I know this sounds trite (it's "tech 101"), but have you rebooted your phone? I had a sync problem a month or so ago. I changed password, deleted and then recreated the email account - nothing worked. Rebooted my phone and the account immediately started syncing again. No problems since.

OP
L

ljwr

Reaction score
I did do that, actually, but with no success. The interesting thing is, the error message pops up the second I hit send.

CBMGGM

Reaction score
Go into Market and search Gmail app. Once you find it there will be two options; open & uninstall.

OP
L

ljwr

Reaction score
I could only uninstall updates, not the entire app. The problem still exists. How do I get rid of the entire app?

CBMGGM

Reaction score
That's VZW for ya. If you are rooted use TB and delete the app. Make sure you back up your data first. This approach can be sketchy. Or you can remove the Gmail account thru the MyAccounts app then add your Gmail back in. Gmail bugs are hard to fix. If this doesn't do it maybe a factory reset might be in order.