Problems with calling screen

JoeStoppable

Reaction score
Like when i am placing a call the screen keeps disappearing. So if i wanna end the call i have to like shake my phone all crazy style untill it turns back on. Also when i make a call and bring up the dial pad it does the same thing. Is there a way to make the screen stay on during the call?

cpinto

Reaction score
The Droid has a sensor in the upper left corner of the screen, as you face it. That sensor turns off the screen when it's near your face.

If a finger is anywhere near the sensor during a call, the screen thinks it's near your face and will turn off.

If you are in an area with bright lights that may be giving off a little heat, the screen may not turn back on even if you move your finger.

My first droid had this problem, so I exchanged it. A finger still turns off the screen by design, but not affected by bright lights.

Just point the screen down, and it should return.

Craig

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i have read a few threads on this being a problem..... i believe there is an app for it, but don't remember the name... dig around a little and im sure you will find it soon enough........

The apps name is screebl. :)

cpinto

Reaction score
I don't think that will solve the problem. Screebl is a good app, but it just keeps the screen from timing out while you are using it.

This isn't a time out problem.

jpeter1093

Reaction score
On every Droid I've seen, the sensor is on the top RIGHT of the screen, not the left. It's near the notification icon and can be seen by holding your Droid at an angle to the light.

drivinfocused

Reaction score
i have read a few threads on this being a problem..... i believe there is an app for it, but don't remember the name... dig around a little and im sure you will find it soon enough........

The apps name is screebl. :)

Is everyone having this problem? Or is it just a select few? Heard also that it is peoples hand that may interfere with it.... Getting my droid at the beginning of march so I'm trying to get everything together....

JCo352

Reaction score
On every Droid I've seen, the sensor is on the top RIGHT of the screen, not the left. It's near the notification icon and can be seen by holding your Droid at an angle to the light.

Actually it is in the top left.

cpinto

Reaction score

I think we are saying the same thing. I said "upper left as you face it".

Some of the sensors are not calibrated correctly, and if covered with a cheek or a fingerwill correctly blank the screen, but when uncovered in bright light, stays blank.

I demoed this to a Verizon Tech Rep, and they quickly replaced it. The new one works just fine.

Love the Droid, and no longer want an iPhone, but a little disappointed in some of these small items.

I really want Flash 10 ASAP, and I wish we could configure the hard buttons and soft keys.

OP
JoeStoppable

JoeStoppable

Reaction score
thank you to everyone who replied. It basically seems that there is no fix for it. I guess i realize why it has to do it like that. But Its just super annoying sometimes when during a call i have to use the dial pad and it keeps disappearing.

cpinto

Reaction score
thank you to everyone who replied. It basically seems that there is no fix for it. I guess i realize why it has to do it like that. But Its just super annoying sometimes when during a call i have to use the dial pad and it keeps disappearing.

Unless you replace it, my temporary fix was to be sure I never held it near the top, and if the screen did not return, just point the screen toward the floor, and it usually will return.

As I said before, I returned it and the new one does not have the problem.

On the old one, if I was on a call under a bright light, I could just wave my hand past the screen within about 2 inches, and it would blank and not return.