Problems Downloading pdf Files

spydergirl

Reaction score
When I click on a pdf link, a little notification pops-up that says "download started," but then disappears and I can't find where the file downloaded. In times past, it would ask me what office program app I wanted to use to open the file, but now nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
When I click on a pdf link, a little notification pops-up that says "download started," but then disappears and I can't find where the file downloaded. In times past, it would ask me what office program app I wanted to use to open the file, but now nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?
After you click on it and it says "download started", you should see a down arrow appear in the status bar at the top of your screen. While the download is active the arrow will be animated as and increasing arrow from top to bottom, changing constantly. Once the download is completed the arrow will become solid.

If you drag the status bar down, you should see the download listed in the items inside your status screen. You can click on it there and it will open up the item directly. Of course as mentioned by CJM, you can also go to the Downloads folder on your phone with a file manager and you will find the items in there as well.

Also as mentioned by CJM, the downloads app in your system app tray can be used to view those items as well. The icon looks like this:

947d567cd01840c24fa0393c78465f63.jpg

OP
spydergirl

spydergirl

Reaction score
I'm so sorry, but I should have explained more in my original post .....

That arrow doesn't show up in my top bar during the download and when I go to my Downloads folder, there is nothing there but some really old files downloaded a long time ago. It's like a setting got changed or switched off somehow.

When I try to open a pdf file, the little notification pops up down at the bottom of my screen ("download started") and then disappears almost immediately, but nothing else happens anywhere else on the screen and there is nothing in my "Downloads" folder.

It's all very odd because I did not have this problem before and it's like something got changed.

Sent from my GN2

OP
spydergirl

spydergirl

Reaction score
If you drag the status bar down, you should see the download listed in the items inside your status screen. You can click on it there and it will open up the item directly. Of course as mentioned by CJM, you can also go to the Downloads folder on your phone with a file manager and you will find the items in there as well.

I forgot to mention that nothing shows up when I pull down the status bar.

Sent from my GN2

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I'm so sorry, but I should have explained more in my original post .....

That arrow doesn't show up in my top bar during the download and when I go to my Downloads folder, there is nothing there but some really old files downloaded a long time ago. It's like a setting got changed or switched off somehow.

When I try to open a pdf file, the little notification pops up down at the bottom of my screen ("download started") and then disappears almost immediately, but nothing else happens anywhere else on the screen and there is nothing in my "Downloads" folder.

It's all very odd because I did not have this problem before and it's like something got changed.

Sent from my GN2
Ok Spidergirl, that helps me a lot. What browser are you using on your phone? The one that came preinstalled, or Google's Chrome? If you don't have chrome installed, I might suggest that you do so and then try your download with chrome rather than the stock browser.

If it's the stock browser that's failing then I'm not exactly sure what the solution may be but it should be downloading if it says download started. Report back with whatever you have that can help me. Thanks.

OP
spydergirl

spydergirl

Reaction score
That's very kind for you to help me.

Not to sound dumb, but how do I know what Browser I am using? :-\

Sent from my GN2

OP
spydergirl

spydergirl

Reaction score
It looks like the globe of earth. I guess I should download Chrome and use that as my Browser? My husband uses the same Browser as I do on his Razr Max and his pdf downloads function exactly as you described earlier ... like it SHOULD function. I wondered if something got changed on mine with one of the recent software updates.

Sent from my GN2

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Well there's no question something is wrong but what is a mystery. You can try going to your settings, apps, find the browser you are using and select it, then in that window click "uninstall updates" on the top right. After that try it and see if it works.

You might also try tapping "clear cache" near the bottom there, and if you scroll down past "launch by default" on that page you'll see " clear defaults ". If it's not grayed out, tap it as well. That will make it prompt you for the browser when you choose a link on a page such as an email and may reset the browser's handling of downloads.

See below.

2770ca966d144f4bc682ddac1a2326a7.jpg

71cea304db264260c7f2f9996467ca5d.jpg

3aecfc502f04efd74461d5b457d793f1.jpg

You can also go to the app tray and grab and drag the browser icon to the "uninstall" or "app info" prompt to accomplish the same thing.

fcdc4811a36aa3a81980a64823919c2f.jpg

f8b62a54f968649cf722abd424c984d4.jpg

Another simple solution often overlooked is to restart the phone completely. With the screen unlocked and on, press and hold the power button, then when promoted select the option to power down the phone and then power back up again. It may resolve the problem.

Last edited: