Problem with Droid Pro Global use with SIM overseas

MariC

Reaction score
I bought a new droid pro before I went overseas. The Verizon store people assured me that it was fully unlocked and that I wouldn't have any problems using sim cards from different countries... They were wrong!

I am in France and bought an Orange mobicarte and the voice part works. But now, I want to add a month of internet and also check my remaining credit. To do that I have to enter #123#, but it doesn't work!!! It just says "USSD code running." (I also tried #+123#).

I found another thread on this forum, which may have the answer for me (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-global/137441-ussd-codes-not-working-outside-verizon.html):) It says that Verizon makes it impossible to use USSD codes outside of Verizon. Is this correct?

The people at the Orange store here in Paris had no idea what the problem is. They called their service center, but all I was told over and over again is that American phones won't work with internet in France because the "parameters" (les paramètres) of the internet are different. Does this make sense to anyone???

I am going to be spending several months in Morocco soon. I am worried that I will have the same problem with my droid there as in France. Before I make some angry long distance calls to Verizon and send the phone back to the U.S. to be returned, does anyone know if there is any way to make it work with internet and be able to check my credit with overseas sims?

Any suggestions? I am not very tech savvy, so please explain things simply. Thanks.

OP
M

MariC

Reaction score
I bought a new droid pro before I went overseas. The Verizon store people assured me that it was fully unlocked and that I wouldn't have any problems using sim cards from different countries... They were wrong!

I am in France and bought an Orange mobicarte and the voice part works. But now, I want to add a month of internet and also check my remaining credit. To do that I have to enter #123#, but it doesn't work!!! It just says "USSD code running." (I also tried #+123#).

I found another thread on this forum, which may have the answer for me (USSD codes not working outside Verizon) It says that Verizon makes it impossible to use USSD codes outside of Verizon. Is this correct?

The people at the Orange store here in Paris had no idea what the problem is. They called their service center, but all I was told over and over again is that American phones won't work with internet in France because the "parameters" (les paramètres) of the internet are different. Does this make sense to anyone???

I am going to be spending several months in Morocco soon. I am worried that I will have the same problem with my droid there as in France. Before I make some angry long distance calls to Verizon and send the phone back to the U.S. to be returned, does anyone know if there is any way to make it work with internet and be able to check my credit with overseas sims?

Any suggestions? I am not very tech savvy, so please explain things simply. Thanks.

Astaroth

Reaction score
Just from a quick google i came up with this thread, where someone says that if you go to Settings->Location and Security->Mobile tracker and turn off Mobile Tracker, USSD codes will work.

As for internet not working at all, which you didn't make clear but I will assume that's what you meant, you need to obtain the access point details from Orange. Usually these can be sent from Orange to your phone and install automatically, or you can input them manually. I suggest googling. I would also not really bother going to an Orange store again because typically in-store customer service reps just know how to sell phones, not how to deal with issues with your connection or your specific phone. Call technical support for those issues. (or google them)

OP
M

MariC

Reaction score
No "Mobile Tracker" under Location & Security to fix USSD issue

Thank you for the reply. Hopefully I am overreacting and this can be resolved quickly.
Unfortunately, there is no "mobile tracker" option under "location and security" on my droid pro.
I saw someone else posted a similar problem on this forum but no reply: Support USSD code problem - Android Forums
As for my internet not working: Well, of course wifi works. But I did not originally buy a sim card with internet on it. That actually was not an option when I bought the Mobicarte. I was told that first I had to insert the sim, which was preloaded with credit for voice, and only then could I enter #123# to select the option to purchase a data package. So I haven't yet been able to buy a data package, though voice and texting works fine.

barjoyai

Reaction score
i am using unlocked droid pro here in Malaysia, well the ussd codes are not working. guess there isn't any other way around to fix it. i'm using prepaid simcard, so it's a must here to use ussd codes to check balance, buying data package,sms package, reload the credit and all. what i did is inserting the simcard in another phone to use the ussd codes and then put back the simcard into the droid pro. it's a hassle but that's all works for me now. i've been using droid pro in Ukraine, Turkey and Malaysia, the data regardless EDGE, 3G works with each country's telco simcard.everything is fine just can't use ussd codes.

nanohead

Reaction score
I've been able to use all broadband service all over europe with the pro. Never had any problem (except the bill)

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums

Freak4Dell

Reaction score
Is Orange your only option? I've never actually gone to France, but I'm currently in the UK. I haven't tried Orange, but with T-Mobile, I just text a number to purchase a data package. This is with a prepaid SIM. As far as I know, it doesn't do anything with the USSD codes (although it may check them in the background). It might be worth a shot to try a different carrier, although you may just end up wasting money.

tennvol

Reaction score
If you have a T Mobile sim in the UK you can roam on Orange. My inlaws live in Scotland and at their house my TM sim defaults to TM and I get 2g. If I force the phone to Orange I get HSPA speed, or at least there is a "H" displayed on my screen.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums

rycorner

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've had the same issue with the ussd codes in gsm sim mode. I believe this is because droid pro was originally built for the CDMA mode. Thus leaving the GSM mode with lots of missing features.

I really really hope that someone in here could share their genius knowledge to create or provide some hacks or fixs for this issue. Otherwise I couldn't stand for another month with the device and have to let it go. :(

chaihg

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've had the same issue with the ussd codes in gsm sim mode. I believe this is because droid pro was originally built for the CDMA mode. Thus leaving the GSM mode with lots of missing features.

I really really hope that someone in here could share their genius knowledge to create or provide some hacks or fixs for this issue. Otherwise I couldn't stand for another month with the device and have to let it go. :(

What is your problem. Where are you from. Be specific and describe properly. We should be able to help you with these settings.

barjoyai

Reaction score
What is your problem. Where are you from. Be specific and describe properly. We should be able to help you with these settings.

i'm still looking for the ussd code fix in gsm mode. it's difficult to always pop the simcard into other phone just to use ussd code..why verizon didn't fix it in previous updates..gingerbread is also the same..this phone is great, i like the qwerty feature but using it in gsm/umts mode outside US is a problematic for those need to use ussd code running.

chaihg

Reaction score
See if searching for specific app in the market helps. Maybe u can just store some codes and send it out without the use of Motorola Dialer or if there is any bypass for this method. Try some apps like this https://market.android.com/details?id=com.thewheatfield.easidial&feature=search_result I dont know the exact problem because I do not use USSD codes. If not u will need to get onto CM7 builds. That for sure is flexible to accommodate such codes.

nadsad

Reaction score
any help??? i'm having the same problem, i tried some ways but failed