Problem With a loud beep on callers side.

Desert Eagle

Reaction score
I have had my droid for about two months now and love it. I just have one problem with it that i cant figure out, and the people at verizon cant figure out either.....Many times when i am on the phone with someone, the person on the other side complains of a loud noise. Now i know what many of you would say, its just me hitting the screen with my face, but i assure you my screen is locked when this happens. I even swapped phones for a brand new one two days ago and the problem persists. Does anyone know what could cause a loud beeping noise on the other sides phone? I hear nothing and they say it does not sound like a tone as if i pressed a button.

paq237

Reaction score
Are you using Google Voice? My wife and I (both with Moto Droid / Google Voice) have encountered tones when talking that mimic those that are made (as you've already implied) when hitting numbers on the keypad - it's at best annoying, but at worst actually painful because they are indeed loud. We also confirmed that neither of us is actually hitting numbers (we're typically using headsets with phone in a bracket).

All that said, testing we've done has shown that it only occurs when we use GV for calls. I wouldn't, however, say that our testing has been in any way exhaustive.

OP
D

Desert Eagle

Reaction score
I wish it were that simple, but no. I am not using google voice. I literally have no clue what it could be.

eimartinez2633

Reaction score
Help

I'm having the exact same problem and have also changed phones but the beeping still continues to be heard by the people on the other side.

myriad46

Reaction score
This happens to me, but only with one person that I talk to. I get the beeps on my end. The conclusion that I have come to is that something in the quality of your voice is causing one of the phones to generate a touch-tone, tone. Dialing works on generating tones, if a sound is produced by your voice, close enough to one of those tones, it seems like one of the phones takes the initiative and produces it. I don't understand the electronics of it, but it's a theory. Try talking quieter, and see if it persists.

DaveH

Reaction score
Not to derail the topic, but maybe this is somehow related: I don't have issues with tones, but everyone seems to have a difficult time hearing/understanding what I'm saying. I'm hoping there is a fix for this....it seems like the phone's limiter circuitry or software is too gung-ho. No one can hear any ambient noise on my end with the Droid, whereas they complained of it with the enV Touch I had.

zar100

Reaction score
I am having the same issue and it doesn't happen using Google Voice

H8SPVMT

Reaction score
This happens to me, but only with one person that I talk to. I get the beeps on my end. The conclusion that I have come to is that something in the quality of your voice is causing one of the phones to generate a touch-tone, tone. Dialing works on generating tones, if a sound is produced by your voice, close enough to one of those tones, it seems like one of the phones takes the initiative and produces it. I don't understand the electronics of it, but it's a theory. Try talking quieter, and see if it persists.

I thought this was just a flute in a conversation I was having with a friend. A train passed by on his end and blew the whistle as it approached the X'ing. I heard all sorts of noises and sounds but NOT the whistle! I thought the other person had just done a fast search thru the radio channels on an old radio of the past.

Thanks for the explanation.

Droid 3

stateofdesign

Reaction score
I have had my droid for about two months now and love it. I just have one problem with it that i cant figure out, and the people at verizon cant figure out either.....Many times when i am on the phone with someone, the person on the other side complains of a loud noise. Now i know what many of you would say, its just me hitting the screen with my face, but i assure you my screen is locked when this happens. I even swapped phones for a brand new one two days ago and the problem persists. Does anyone know what could cause a loud beeping noise on the other sides phone? I hear nothing and they say it does not sound like a tone as if i pressed a button.

I'm running in to the same exact problem with my Thunderbolt. I can not find any answers anywhere as to what the problem could be. Very frustrating, especially to see the comment that someone replaced their phone and continues to have the problems.

Was anyone able to find a solution?