Problem Using Task Killer with 2.2 Upgrade

jojo1

Reaction score
My Verizon Droid Incredible had been working perfectly for the past six months. A week ago I was automatically upgraded to 2.2, and all of a sudden several applications have stopped working. Most problematically, my Task Killer does not work properly, and several apps (such as Google Navigation and the radio feature for MLB Baseball) keep running (and draining battery) even after I try to close them using the Task Killer. (Sometimes they also prevent the phone from turning off the screen, further draining battery). I called customer service and they were useless, telling me that Verizon was not responsible if apps didn't work or not, and I should contact the manufacturer of the app.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem? (I too have had Skype and other apps I don't want continuously open, but that doesn't bother me quite as much as having apps that I want to close continuously run).

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
stop using task killer. read link 7 to find out why.

Bill Gates

Reaction score
Task killers don't work in Android 2.2; Google no longer allows applications to kill other running applications. You can however, force close and application by going to Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications -> Running Applications, selecting the application you wish to close, and pressing the 'Force Close' button near the top of the menu. That should keep it closed until your reboot again, although some applications cannot be closed completely.

OP
J

jojo1

Reaction score
Thanks. Some apps, like the MLB app that lets you listen to games on radio, don't seem to have a way to close the app (or turn off the game) without either having a task manager (two taps) or going through the whole sequence described above of going through settings, applications, etc. It's a matter of convenience that I would imagine many folks would want. (And others -- like my Google Navigation -- seemed to not want to shut down even after I selected exit navigation on the app.)

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
Thanks. Some apps, like the MLB app that lets you listen to games on radio, don't seem to have a way to close the app (or turn off the game) without either having a task manager (two taps) or going through the whole sequence described above of going through settings, applications, etc. It's a matter of convenience that I would imagine many folks would want. (And others -- like my Google Navigation -- seemed to not want to shut down even after I selected exit navigation on the app.)

Using a task killer to kill specific apps like this is just fine. Setting it up to kill processes the OS automatically starts up is what causes people problems.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Using a task killer to kill specific apps like this is just fine. Setting it up to kill processes the OS automatically starts up is what causes people problems.

True, but it's still an unnecessary application on your phone. You can stop any task from running in the applications settings. And if you have a D1 and are a little concerned about space, it does take up a bit (not much) of space.

I will admit it's probably faster just to do it with a task killer.