Power Management Apps

Dan.Droid

Reaction score
I've been using more and more apps that run constantly in the background lately, and I've noticed a considerable difference in the battery life. So, I decided to look into power management apps, something that turns apps and settings on and off depending on location.

What are some of the better ones out there?

A lady I work with suggested JuiceDefender, but I can't tell what I'm supposed to do with it. I can't seem to adjust any settings. Any time I try, it just tells me to get the ultimate version.

I also have Screebl on my list of apps to look at from a long time ago, but I'm curious to see what the community can suggest.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've been using more and more apps that run constantly in the background lately, and I've noticed a considerable difference in the battery life. So, I decided to look into power management apps, something that turns apps and settings on and off depending on location.

What are some of the better ones out there?

A lady I work with suggested JuiceDefender, but I can't tell what I'm supposed to do with it. I can't seem to adjust any settings. Any time I try, it just tells me to get the ultimate version.

I also have Screebl on my list of apps to look at from a long time ago, but I'm curious to see what the community can suggest.

If you don't habitually shut off your screen when you're not using your droid AND you place it on a desk or table, Screebl can save you some battery power by enabling you to set the timeout setting to 15 seconds. There is, of course, compensating battery use to run Screebl, but on the whole, you should experience some benefit.

Apart from the various apps such as Juice Defender, you might want to consider adjusting the behavior of some of your apps. For example, a news reader that updates stories frequently is pretty useless if you read the news once or twice a day. I use FeedR, for example, and turned off the update since it updates automatically whenever I read a news feed. You might also ask yourself just how important it is to keep track of the temperature every quarter hour, etc.

Finally, you can purchase an extra battery for the Droid on Amazon for less than $15 including shipping. Effectively doubling your battery power will do far more for you than adjusting settings.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Power management apps are generally worthless. Screebl is great because the screen doesn't even turn off if you're using it and then goes off in 15 seconds. It takes very little power to run.

Simple fact is the more you use voice and your screen the less the battery will last.

SpykeZ

Reaction score
jjuice defender mainly runs when your screen is shut off by disabling apn and only turning it on once in a while etc, the default setting when you first enable it works just fine

Droids

Reaction score
Check out Locale
Locale - Product
I haven't used it lately but seems to be getting a lot more useful with plugins. Think I'll go install it again and play.

Edit: last time I used Locale it was free, must have been beta. Now a paid app.

SpykeZ

Reaction score
Check out Locale
Locale - Product
I haven't used it lately but seems to be getting a lot more useful with plugins. Think I'll go install it again and play.

Edit: last time I used Locale it was free, must have been beta. Now a paid app.

hey that looks pretty cool :) Def worth paying a few bucks for if it's as useful as it seems.

OP
D

Dan.Droid

Reaction score
Thanks everybody. I downloaded Timeriffic and Brighteriffic. I couldn't find the Locale beta for download, though. I might look for / at the others again if Timeriffic doesn't work out for me, but it sounds pretty much just what I was looking for.