Power Button Not Working...

Jimmy68711

Reaction score
I've tried googling this problem, to no avail. The power button on my phone has stopped working. I know it's not stuck. I can't power off. When the screen is "asleep", I can't wake it up. When the screen is "awake", I can't put it to sleep. So if my phone is asleep, there are only 3 ways for me to wake it up: Call my phone from another phone, plug my phone in (or unplug it) to the charger, or take the battery out and put it back in. RIGHT when I put the battery back in, the phone automatically turns on without pressing anything. Has anyone encountered this problem or have any answers? I haven't done anything to my phone as far as hacking or rooting.

Thanks,
Jimmy

Last edited:
OP
J

Jimmy68711

Reaction score
I've tried googling this problem, to no avail. The power button on my phone has stopped working. I know it's not stuck. I can't power off. When the screen is "asleep", I can't wake it up. When the screen is "awake", I can't put it to sleep. So if my phone is asleep, there are only 3 ways for me to wake it up: Call my phone from another phone, plug my phone in (or unplug it) to the charger, or take the battery out and put it back in. RIGHT when I put the battery back in, the phone automatically turns on without pressing anything. Has anyone encountered this problem or have any answers? I haven't done anything to my phone as far as hacking or rooting.

Thanks,
Jimmy

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
I would normally suggest a factory reset but without a working power button, I don't think that's possible. Do you have insurance or an extended warranty? If so, this may be the time to use it. Sorry I couldn't be a bigger help. Maybe someone else knows another trick.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Droid Forums

chickaholic

Reaction score
Hi. Can I assume this is an older Droid? I have the HTC Droid Incredible. I am starting to see the same issue intermittently. Unfortunately, these phones were not built to last and parts do wear out. Small grit works it's way into the phones and wears stuff out. You can see that when you take the back off your phone to pull the battery. It can be icky in there. The occasional drop, normal use and abuse, can put strain on electronic connections too.
I still was able to do a factory reset although not for this but for another know DINC issue ('UIDs inconsistent. . . I'm Feeling Lucky' message). The reset did not fix the occasional power button failure but as I said, I was not doing it for that anyway.
You may consider taking your phone into your carrier and have a tech look at it (it's free). They could do a factory reset for you but that may not solve the issue. Make sure you back up all your data, pics, etc. before you have a FR done on your phone (or go to a new phone)! If you have VZW insurance on your phone, you may get a replacement phone. With other phone insurance (like Asurion), the deductible is so high that you may just want to put that money toward a new phone instead of a replacement phone. COSTCO has the original Razr for $39 right now. Some new older model smartphones are available for as little as a penny with contract renewals. I'm personally waiting for the TV advertising for the S3 to die so the device price will come down. I saw a TV commercial today for the Razr HD so maybe the S3 advertising will drop soon.

GoddessOfCarbs

Reaction score
Me too!

Thanks,
Jimmy

This is exactly what's happening to me right now! I thought it was a broken power button, so I installed WidgetLocker so that I could wake the phone with the volume keys, but that's not working either. Did you ever find a solution?

djohio

Reaction score
This also happened to me today...2 march. I took mine to Verizon store and they literally turned the volume button up and BAM..mine would wake up like it used to. I normally have my phone on vibrate. Try playing with the volume keys...I hope this works for you Goddess of Carbs!

swest1

Reaction score
I'm on my. Second phone because of that . Thks. For.insurance.....

GoddessOfCarbs

Reaction score
This also happened to me today...2 march. I took mine to Verizon store and they literally turned the volume button up and BAM..mine would wake up like it used to. I normally have my phone on vibrate. Try playing with the volume keys...I hope this works for you Goddess of Carbs!

My sister switched to an iPhone so I just took her HTC Thunderbolt. Seemed easier than dealing with the multitude of problems that the Droid was throwing at me. :)