Potentially Grim News for Android: Apple Blocks Sale of Samsung Galaxy Nexus in U.S.

VirtualCLD

Reaction score
If you think the judge is biased, then you obviously haven't been following along. This was the same judge that ruled against banning the Galaxy Tab 10.1 but was overruled by an appeals. I think she also denied Apple's request to block the S III, but that was due to time constraints.

Update:
Here are the forum posts with the articles I was referring to:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/213857-u-s-judge-issues-preliminary-injunction-against-samsungs-galaxy-tab-10-1-a.html

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...iminary-injunction-against-samsungs-siii.html

Last edited:

52brandon

Reaction score
what would top Samsung from only including an updater on the phone that allows you to DL free software for the device, like say Android 4.1, after purchase. If they wanna play petty, play back

SamuelMSr

Reaction score
I am just glad I ordered my Nexus when I did. It is already sitting at the local sort facility and will be delivered tomorrow. I CAN'T WAIT!

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
One bad Apple spoils the whole bunch. I imagine an appeal is already in the works. It keeps the legal teams busy. I think companies should be limited to how many patent base law suits they can file in one year. I really don't see why Apple is so focused on Samsung but I would think it's safe to say that if you want the closest thing to an iPhone without getting an iPhone go with a Samsung phone, clearly they're similar enough to warrant this bullying from Apple.

jseah

Reaction score
One bad Apple spoils the whole bunch. I imagine an appeal is already in the works. It keeps the legal teams busy. I think companies should be limited to how many patent base law suits they can file in one year. I really don't see why Apple is so focused on Samsung but I would think it's safe to say that if you want the closest thing to an iPhone without getting an iPhone go with a Samsung phone, clearly they're similar enough to warrant this bullying from Apple.

Obviously Apple is targeting Samsung because they have, by virtue of the sheer number of phones they are selling each year, become the defacto nearest threat. It was already reported that Samsung estimated that they have already sold 9 millions GSIII's through pre-order, and reports are coming in that Samsung may have under-estimated. It was already reported that Samsung sold something in the neighborhood of 35 million phones worldwide in one year. If the GSIII does as well as people expect, it wouldn't be unreasonable to think that Samsung may top 50 million phones sold this year.

I think I recall reading that there was a patent lawsuit that was filed by Motorola against Apple where the judge deemed there was sufficient evidence to proceed with the case. I believe the article also stated that technically, if Google/Motorola wanted to play hardball, they could request an injunction that would effectively ban the sale of iPad and iPhones in the US.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you think the judge is biased, then you obviously haven't been following along. This was the same judge that ruled against banning the Galaxy Tab 10.1 but was overruled by an appeals. I think she also denied Apple's request to block the S III, but that was due to time constraints.

Actually if you take a look she is the same one who just ruled earlier last week that the Tab 10.1 should be banned.

" On Tuesday, Judge Koh granted a preliminary injunction against the sale of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablet in the U.S. in another patent dispute between Apple and Samsung."

Last paragraph of this article: Computerworld India News | Samsung Seeks Stay on Injunction Against Galaxy Nexus Smartphone | Computerworld.in

You can do a Google search if you don't believe me, but you should hurry in case Apple is granted a patent for online searches as well.

VirtualCLD

Reaction score
MissionImprobable said:
Actually if you take a look she is the same one who just ruled earlier last week that the Tab 10.1 should be banned.

" On Tuesday, Judge Koh granted a preliminary injunction against the sale of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablet in the U.S. in another patent dispute between Apple and Samsung."

Last paragraph of this article: Computerworld India News | Samsung Seeks Stay on Injunction Against Galaxy Nexus Smartphone | Computerworld.in

You can do a Google search if you don't believe me, but you should hurry in case Apple is granted a patent for online searches as well.

What I said in my post was that she initially ruled against banning the Tab 10.1, but an appeals court forced her to go back and re-evaluate, which in turn led to the ban. She may have issued the Nexus ban because she felt the same thing would happen again.

Update:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/213857-u-s-judge-issues-preliminary-injunction-against-samsungs-galaxy-tab-10-1-a.html

[URL]http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/211757-u-s-judge-denies-apples-request-preliminary-injunction-against-samsungs-siii.html
[/URL]

Last edited:

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Apple and Samsung have billions of dollars in the bank. Let them fight it out. Samsung will not stop making kick ass phones, and Apple will not stop suing in spite of it. If the judge had stopped the sell of the Gnex before I purchased it, I would have gotten something else. No big deal.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Apple and Samsung have billions of dollars in the bank. Let them fight it out. Samsung will not stop making kick ass phones, and Apple will not stop suing in spite of it. If the judge had stopped the sell of the Gnex before I purchased it, I would have gotten something else. No big deal.

It is a big deal, ignorant judges are making silly and wrong decisions and stiffing competition. Remember Apple getting the swipe to unlock patent, except it had been around for years. Google still hasn't been given the patent for the notification bar, but Apple uses it.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
What I said in my post was that she initially ruled against banning the Tab 10.1, but an appeals court forced her to go back and re-evaluate, which in turn led to the ban. She may have issued the Nexus ban because she felt the same thing would happen again.

Update:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...iminary-injunction-against-samsungs-siii.html

Judge Koh stated that "although Samsung has a right to compete, it does not have a right to compete unfairly, by flooding the market with infringing products". Yeah, still not seeing her state anything of merit.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
It is a big deal, ignorant judges are making silly and wrong decisions and stiffing competition. Remember Apple getting the swipe to unlock patent, except it had been around for years. Google still hasn't been given the patent for the notification bar, but Apple uses it.

It is pending though which is great. If it's granted Apple will have to pay a licensing fee to use it or remove it from their OS which I'm sure customers who have come to see how great notifications are, even Apple's horrible implementation of them, will resent. Whatever happens Apple can get stuffed.

jseah

Reaction score
It is pending though which is great. If it's granted Apple will have to pay a licensing fee to use it or remove it from their OS which I'm sure customers who have come to see how great notifications are, even Apple's horrible implementation of them, will resent. Whatever happens Apple can get stuffed.

But then wouldn't Apple have an argument that notifications existed in their OS before the patent was issued, so they should be grandfathered in?

VirtualCLD

Reaction score
The point I was trying to make was that she only stated that after being forced to reconsider her original ruling. Her initial ruling was shown here on 6/06:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/210958-judge-refuses-apples-request-injunction-galaxy-tab-10-1-lawsuits-help-sammy.html

As was stated in the 6/27th post: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ction-against-samsungs-galaxy-tab-10-1-a.html
"Previously Judge Koh had denied Apple's request for a preliminary injunction against Samsung's competing tablet, but was instructed by a federal appeals court to reconsider."

You are right in that she was only forced to reconsider her ruling, not change it, based on the appeals court finding. I'm just saying it's difficult to prove she is biased towards Apple based on her history (but I may be missing something).

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Who knows? Maybe she's allowing it because she knows it will just get sent right back to her if she does otherwise and she wants to let the higher courts decided it one way or another. All I do know is that Siri's functionality does not by any means fit the function of what should be patentable. If it is then Apple will also have grounds to sue people who make interfaces for the visually impaired. Of course, maybe Apple is right, maybe they're the only one's who should be able to have one interface that returns search values from multiple results :blink: