Potential Problem?

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
do not reconsider.. all the apps in the android library that you will ever use will not take up the space given. well, maybe, but you would have to put a LOT of apps on your phone...

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site.. Thats a great question and I'm really not sure of the answer.. I've been doing research like crazy and will post anything I find...

OP
A

andymellon4

Reaction score
Thanks and I read that and instantly had cause for concern how many avergae sized apps would fit on this phone?

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
So far from what i've seen most of the apps that people are looking at putting on their phone with the exception of certain games, really do not take up much space at all. You shouldn't have an issue putting the apps that you want on the phone.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
i dont see it being an issue i dont recall if i was reading a post somewhere or watching a video but the average G1 user has 41 applications installed on the phone. The G1 only has 71 mb of app memory.

i think 256 will be plenty for anything you would want to install.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
ha im the man i found it...

heres the page about half way down you will see some terms with bullets
Android Application Developers Can Take Advantage of High Consumer Response Rates with New Quattro Wireless Ad Kit

The average G1 user has downloaded more than 40 applications from the Android market virtual storefront (Source: Google)

it doesn't go in to say if they kept all the apps on the phone at one time but typically once something is downloaded its kept on the phone unless its total ****.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't reconsider here.The Storm1 has only 128 and the S2 has 256 also. I have 41 apps on my S1 and still bot with 30mb available. Now I don't have any games but overall it should be fine.

jdubbs23

Reaction score
The big issue here isn't necessarily not having enough space to run lots of common apps, but not having enough space to install one large gaming application along with the numerous small apps. This is because Android doesn't allow you to use the microSD card to run applications off of.

I think on-board storage is fine for the majority of apps, but this limitation Android has is preventing developers from developing large size apps like the awesome gaming apps you'd find on the iPhone.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I wouldn't reconsider here.The Storm1 has only 128 and the S2 has 256 also. I have 41 apps on my S1 and still bot with 30mb available. Now I don't have any games but overall it should be fine.

you also have to realize with the blackberries the operating system shares the same memory as the installed 3rd party apps. As far as i know the Droid has dedicated system storage and then 256 dedicated to application memory.

this is just from what i have read... if i'm mistaken please dont hesitate to correct me.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think your making more of a point for him, if he has the OS and 41 apps installed with 30MB available then i think most people should be fine. Other then those that want amazing games on it.

jdubbs23

Reaction score
Ya and I guess I'm not one to want really amazing games on the phone either.

However, I believe that the success of the iPhone, and for that matter any new smartphone is the availability of good apps and lots of developers that are writing those apps.

If developers are turned off from developing new interesting applications on the Android platform due to this storage limitation, then thats bad for Android as a future mobile OS.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think with a lot of people screaming for this, it should be a top priority for them to get it up and working as soon as possible.