Post marshmallow quirks

radon222

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just when I think it's settling in this phone goes does something dumb. After being off the charger all day with a few phone calls and a couple brief trips to the library, I went to bed with ~60% battery. Left it off charger overnight and woke to a dead phone. It showed 3% when I plugged it in this morning.

ChevyParts

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Since MM cell standby is always at the top of my list. And likewise my battery life is no worse than before, maybe a tad better. Just a different order of things drawing.

I read that it's called the mobile radio active bug. And MM was supposed to address it, but I never had until MM.

But, like I said my battery life is still good so I don't really mind. But I would like to find a solution if possible.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
ChevyParts, interesting, same situation here. Never heard of this bug, but Cell stdby was NOT at the top of the list with Lollipop.

Like you, I have not noticed a reduction in battery life per charge. On the contrary, the new "doze" feature seems to be working really well when the screen is off.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Quick question for the folks that have a Turbo (haven't had mine in a while). A friend texted me last night that marshmallow "broke" his Command Center Widget. I think I read on here that it changed quite a bit with Marshmallow. Is that true? Did the whole design change? He didn't send me a screenshot (he's not the most tech savvy guy) but from what he described his Command Center is not broken just different. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

radon222

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes it's true. They've put in a new Command Center. It changes the tie-in to calendar and weather/battery pop outs. There is a color (user selectable) ring that represents battery %

aw6fDmwnWkiRc4E678rnEQ2pY5rW-oUQelbqxVfDOuUWVvjS2W3H4PqiTpAuZTcJjuH9RDumGDSRa_xNtuCGRqSE-ewhYQRDbjbZbQX_nHtRTIV3MomJtd1vY1ne_2ho0TfbyPEcL-ibCLFtT21Bzn5VPX6-OYp3ZPB5UVZ8q735dCuEMfkN50eSG-v2gFEPNUPowYQxYU7gtqRt1B6AQwHrzl7Id_5nvg2NrrFI7Fkp1_8UGTfS0oh4Z4ZtnfQB3K3R_tTjlw0EOf0sO3BA5jDmyaUHERGYj0WAytuwiCtf_ap-3mm1mJQcyz3YO47R1zmpxtBq4wHVTBE8IkRMwlYywdfkXVEcsEtmkc0th5erbSmYuMJmoki9EGBRrPlo49I5hIDaRJ6_7KYoGNQWJfiL-EpyZMOJTVFoTwSz5vd1QfdI_KkrKELJZgJZOlpqSNYzc8u2Z-8JE0ldusVDCInvkz1LFhrPVI1jt_WA0zuaAPYfo9ltqIpjAZeGzVentLKF_VFlxZ303DesyXcIoE5D37uMJps7bjpRLwLUGxf4Aj13-HOzKk3rsor9UYzbXsRYupJwMYnxMY0EykxrxIUCQ3IKH-gx0DA7nBhyS_4uFDVQGawt=w516-h917-no

BpA3Dh5K6yxIVBPg7ALKnDOCrmuj_Jv2ytsKc-1yEusHnk8FyetoGmKE5yB3ha5VULOcPlsfPNZs-pmVSzZZoYq_V5afBF06SaCSfOjegVs6si5CNBQKUXNNMSAp99zJM-XPlQJK0qfzcjEooLT07Oa4884Dac4uBwKtariWxIwARlm0ssRtDfbwrmLpO54hXjIBzK8n4_aN6lPoTkTc4V-huwyG-QOdFZTifnEOLQAae13xMtTM5IA3gWJyP8SFo0pThXcevXIWgILt1BG8xEyTiKZIEgcytgMUrUeyqsW4r6B9Hl5hODLkIFjO-hHmmEkZq1-sG9kS43798tfmamWujejWFh5PCl11ELbLwWDlfjcbqtvQjpAn5-m--AJ7fNOoEGdLtAd_aZQgh09xd_x67INkoVAFU_rW1Jsbib48dqNNfvj0w1vxkFQJ_UxJYM3VhvXWw0TKVu4342ixagpdSxIG0J2i6ZIwUOJ3-AqeiyV_Fwpc8AqwAR89pMbKqX6NF5j__dMZRvLwnopAwnk1rprHxAalIQIvnONKT0ciHfF0dGVoHES5VvS-g87vJZ7DTjV-UsZeMPAutVLO7DjWeMqd0woaeUU2NKHGadWGzLsrMoJ9=w516-h917-no

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Yes it's true. They've put in a new Command Center. It changes the tie-in to calendar and weather/battery pop outs. There is a color (user selectable) ring that represents battery %

Thanks. Much appreciated. That's what I figured, just wanted to confirm. Looks good, very similar to the Turbo 2 style.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

radon222

Platinum Member
Reaction score
I like most of it... but I miss the direct link to the calendar that the old one had. On this version, If you have an upcoming Event that is shown and you can click to the event Info...but not the full calendar.

However...the calendar widget is better than it used to be so.....

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I like most of it... but I miss the direct link to the calendar that the old one had. On this version, If you have an upcoming Event that is shown and you can click to the event Info...but not the full calendar.

However...the calendar widget is better than it used to be so.....
That's also the way it works on the Turbo 2. I miss that, they removed it from the Z Series command center.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

ChevyParts

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Doze seems to be working really well when the screen is off putting apps to sleep or whatever it does.

On the other hand, either Marshmallow reports power consumption differently or there is a bug somewhere:

View attachment 77186

1027mAh is more than 25% of the total battery capacity. The phone has been on since around 7:15 this morning, so about nine hours. I have not made or received phone calls, just sent a few texts and done stuff that required data upload/download only when on Wi-Fi.

I have no Facebook, Snapchat, Messenger, Tweeter, etc. Only email and WhatsApp are the apps active with screen off that can generate cell traffic and like I said I have been on Wi-Fi all day with the exception of maybe 30 minutes driving.

On the other hand, I am still at 73% battery, so it is not like the battery is being abnormally depleted. That is why I think it is a bug or a weird way M is now reporting Cell standby current draw.

Anybody noticed the same thing?
I had forgotten about the network setting. It must have defaulted back to global after the MM update or after I did a factory reset. I switched to lte/cdma and while cell standby is still at the top of my usage list, I noticed quite and improvement in battery life. I got over forty hours on a single charge with normal use. It was down to 15%, but still forty hours on a two year old phone is pretty good.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Glad you remembered about the network settings, ChevyParts. I am running a number of "experiments" to understand what is going on with this Cell Standby issue. Yesterday night, just before going to be and charge the Turbo overnight (as I do every night) I did another cache wipe and formatting (from the recovery menu). Today I kept data and Wi-Fi off unless I needed it. At the end of the day my stats are 35% Screen, 10% Maps (used the GPS for a little over an hour this morning, with data on), Cell Standby 10%, Android System 6%, Android OS 4%. Better, but still something is fishy. If I look at the "History Details" screen, (tapping on the graph) I see that through the day there have been several hours in a row when even with the screen off the phone was awake.

I need to understand now if the two things are related and which app is keeping the phone awake with the screen off, even when Wi-Fi and Data are off.

The funniest thing of all is that the battery is not lasting less than it used to do. Actually, thanks I suppose to the new Doze features in MM, it goes down very slowly when the screen is off. I am starting to think it is a bug in the reporting of power consumption and not a real increase in power draw.

ChevyParts

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Yeah, I don't know what's going on. My battery life is as good or better than before but cell standby is way higher. If that were better my battery life would be phenomenal.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

OP
JDH

JDH

Reaction score
Is the doze feature automatic or foes it need to be activated?

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
JDH, It is automatic but you can deactivate it on an individual app basis. This is useful if you have apps you do NOT want to doze while the screen is off.

Just tap on the battery circle in the Command Center, then the three dots menu on the top right and select "Battery Optimization". Then you will see this screen:

Screenshot_20170116-185604.png

Those are the apps that Google/Verizon decided cannot doze...

Tapping on "Not optimized" will allow you to choose "All apps". Once you are on that page, tapping on any of the apps listed will open a window and you can select whether or not to leave doze active. In a great show of consistency (sarcasm alert), this function is always referred to as "Battery Optimization", not even a passing reference to "Doze"...

Screenshot_20170116-185648.png

OP
JDH

JDH

Reaction score
Thanks C/A, I'll give it a go

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Okay, so it has been now a little over two weeks since I got the Marshmallow OTA update.

Time for a few comments:

- Doze (or apps "battery optimization") is spectacular. When the phone has the screen off the battery gets depleted at a much lower rate than with Lollipop.
- The month view of the new Calendar app is much better than before. However, two things I do not like:
1. The flag "Busy" on a calendar event no longer switches the phone to vibrate automatically. Does anyone know if there is a setting to turn this option on?
2. Too many steps now to add notifications. If you want only one fine, no big deal, but adding multiple notifications now is a pain in the... neck. I preferred the drop down menu in Lollipop.
- The battery stats are seriously buggy. I used the phone for a day or two rotating between Data and Wi-Fi Always on, Data and Wi-Fi always off or only one of the two on.
The culprit on the supposed high Cell standby current draw is keeping Data on. Below from the day I kept both Wi-Fi and Data on:

Screenshot_20170119-235249.png

Screenshot_20170119-235258.png

Screenshot_20170119-235307.png

If you consider that I have Wi-Fi at work and home, why on earth "Mobile Radio" shows over 7 hours of activity and 1180mAh current draw?

It is even stranger that overall I have not observed shorter battery life over the day, compared to when I had only Wi-Fi on and Data off.
Thus, I think the Cell standby reported activity and current consumption are not really true.

These are the stats of a day with Wi-Fi on and Data off:

Screenshot_20170120-233217.png

Screenshot_20170120-233229.png