Possible to root OG Droid with no service?

Yanks33Jets

Reaction score
I upgraded to the Droid 3, and am planning on keeping my OG Droid as a backup and not spending the money on insurance for the new phone. I was always weary about rooting the OG Droid, but now that I upgraded I figure I might as well see how difficult it is to root, and what advantages I would gain from it. Is it possible to root my OG Droid without having active service to it? I also transferred the SD card to the new phone, can I root without that? I would like to be able to root so that I can decide on whether or not to root my Droid 3 when the time comes. Thanks.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
You can root without service but not sure if you "need" the sdcard. You will to run ROMs but not sure on just rooting. When I rooted my D1 you did need a sdcard, but alots changed since then.

end of line...

OP
Y

Yanks33Jets

Reaction score
The Droid 3 doesn't come with an SD card, it comes with a SIM card which is different.

Beka27

Reaction score
Really? That just shows how much I've paid attention then... lol. How much is on board?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
Y

Yanks33Jets

Reaction score
I think it comes with 16G built in, plus you can utilize whatever you add with an SD card. My OG Droid came with a 16G SD card, it would be nice if they still included those!

OP
Y

Yanks33Jets

Reaction score
Now can someone point me in the direction for the best rooting instructions? I've seen many threads out there but if anyone can recommend a good one I'd appreciate it.

kookk

Reaction score
I rooted my replacement Droid with superoneclick a few months ago.

It was easy, I didn't even know what I was doing at the time and was still able to get it to work

Sent from my ThunderBolt