Possible to disable screen on when receiving texts?

spyder560

Reaction score
I'm on VZW and using the standard Messaging app for texts. I used to use Handcent but then came the ads.
Is there a way to disable screen-on every single time I receive a text?

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
Are you saying that you don't want notifications when you receive a text, or that you don't want the lock screen to wake up?
My Note 4 came with two apps for texting. The Samsung Messages, and the Verizon Meassage+.
Which are you using?

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note4 using Tapatalk

OP
spyder560

spyder560

Reaction score
Are you saying that you don't want notifications when you receive a text, or that you don't want the lock screen to wake up?
My Note 4 came with two apps for texting. The Samsung Messages, and the Verizon Meassage+.
Which are you using?

Yes I just don't want the lock screen to light up whenever I receive a text. I use the standard Samsung Messaging app.

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've not used that app, but I just enabled it as default so that I could see what settings are there.
Did you already go inside the Messages app settings to "Notifications"?
In there, at the bottom is a setting for "Preview messages" that was enabled in mine. This says when enabled, it will show a preview in the status bar and on the lock screen.
Try un-checking that (if you hadn't already) and test to see if it solves your issue.

If that doesn't do the trick, there's a couple other places to experiment with.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Edit.. already said

OP
spyder560

spyder560

Reaction score
I've not used that app, but I just enabled it as default so that I could see what settings are there.
Did you already go inside the Messages app settings to "Notifications"?
In there, at the bottom is a setting for "Preview messages" that was enabled in mine. This says when enabled, it will show a preview in the status bar and on the lock screen.
Try un-checking that (if you hadn't already) and test to see if it solves your issue.

If that doesn't do the trick, there's a couple other places to experiment with.

Yeah, I've messed with that setting/check box. All that does is when the screen does light up, no message notification appears.
But the screen still lights up.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Personally, I use Google Hangouts for texting. It doesn't turn the screen on every time I get a text. That bugged me for a long time too. There are quite a few decent replacement apps out there though, depending on exactly what's important to you. Google Messages, or whatever it's called, is a nice basic texting app, textra...

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Do you use lock screen widgets? Might try looking at your lock screen setting as opposed to text settings.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
AFAIK, there's no way to turn the feature off. My wife's old s3, my old (now her new) s4, and my current Note 4 all turn the screen on when you get a text using their stock apps and I've yet to find any sort of setting or anything without using a third party texting app.

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
I assume that you are using s Note 4, and that you are on Lollipop. My only remaining suggestions are:
(try these one at a time, since I can't say why there are options in two places, and I haven't proven how each works)
1) go into Settings>Applications>Application Manager, then slide the screen over to All. Scroll down to your messaging app and click on it.
There's a check box for Show Notifications. Un check it and test for the result.
If that doesn't work, go back and re-check the box, and try:
2) Settings>Device>Sound & notification. Scroll down to Application Notifications. Click and scroll down to your app, click on it and turn on "block notifications"