[Poll] Like, Dislike, Unsure of Google Glass; Google Wants Developers to Hack Glass

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
glass-sergei-brin-pondering.jpg

Here's a Google Glass double story for you this morning.

First, we have some intriguing intel for Google Glass developers. It looks like Google plans to subtly tempt developers to hack Glass on purpose. According to insider sources, one of Google I/O's sessions this week will be dedicated specifically to giving developers root access to Glass, with the intent of encouraging them to create experimental applications. Despite the fact that your warranty will be voided if you gain root access to the device, Google actively wants developers to pursue this, just to see how far they can take their creative energies. ~ Technology Review

Second, we wanted to take a moment and gauge interest in Google's newest "outside the box" product. Google Glass has become a polarizing device in the media. Almost everyday we hear stories of people & groups who hate it or love it. Of course, there are also some folks who are cautiously skeptical and sitting firmly in the middle on this device. This gives us the perfect opportunity for a Thursday morning poll. Here's the gist of it below,

Are you excited by the prospect of Google Glass and think it could be a highly successful new gadget in the future?
Do you think Google Glass is a silly toy that will flop like the Segway?
Or, are you not quite sure what to make of this creature yet, and want to wait until the final retail launch to offer your judgement?

Share your perspective in the poll and the thread.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I can see it in some clerical job positions. Cool for biking enthusiasts. Good for doing instructional videos assuming you can keep your head steady. Right now, it seems the people who are most interested are those who are on Facebook/Twitter/AllOthers all the damn time thinking everyone wants to know what they are doing every 5 seconds. It seems like its going to be obnoxious to hear people talking out loud about every detail more so than they already do on phones. I think I'll be banned from many areas pretty fast like movie theaters, schools and probably most places of business. I think its going to be a major distraction when driving and walking. People have a hard enough time driving as it is without looking at their phone.

jspradling7

Reaction score
It's not going to be for everyone the way smartphones are at first. I'm sure that it's abilities and uses will explode once it gets applied in the right places. Fire fighting, mechanic work, search and rescue, inventory control, etc.

I think it will be indispensable in some areas. Imagine someone in a refinery in a spaghetti bowl of pipes and someone else in an office sending a pic showing which pipe he's trying to find. Or someone in a building and being shown a map of the room they need to get to. Or any number of situations where the person with the knowledge needs to give it to someone who's located remotely.

It's like heads-up-display plus video. It may be a little ahead of it time but I think the tech will catch up and it will be on everyone's head all day long.