pls comment on these two different rooting processes

thinkmega

Reaction score
1. published 3-9-2010
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ha...-phone-2-1-rom-o-c-mm-boot-animation-etc.html

Guide to Rooting Android 2.1 on a Motorola Droid | Droid Life: A Motorola Droid Blog

#1 was published on 3/9/2010 while #2 was on 5/6/2010. It seems #1 doesn't require SPRecovery installed.

My understanding is SPRecovery would prevent future OTA update from verizon. I am looking for a fallback plan to "undo" the process and resume receiving OTA if needed.

If you are familiar with them, please share your insights.

Thanks,
J

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
1. published 3-9-2010
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ha...-phone-2-1-rom-o-c-mm-boot-animation-etc.html

Guide to Rooting Android 2.1 on a Motorola Droid | Droid Life: A Motorola Droid Blog

#1 was published on 3/9/2010 while #2 was on 5/6/2010. It seems #1 doesn't require SPRecovery installed.

My understanding is SPRecovery would prevent future OTA update from verizon. I am looking for a fallback plan to "undo" the process and resume receiving OTA if needed.

If you are familiar with them, please share your insights.

Thanks,
J

The first one is Matt's guide to get to a 2.1 rom from 2.01. This was before 2.1 was officially released, just like right now you can get 2.2 even though it has not been officially released. 2.01 could be rooted without using RSD Lite. You need it once you are on 2.1 though.

The second method will be similar to most other guides, including link 3 in my signature. Once you get sprecovery into place you can then choose various roms to install. SPRecovery is easy to use. Some folks have difficulties getting rsd lite to install and work right. Again, that 3rd link below has many folks solving their issues within that one thread.

Your fallback would be to flash the sbf file for stock 2.01, with RSD Lite, and then just take the OTA update to 2.1 and then from there to 2.2

OP
T

thinkmega

Reaction score
Probably the method #1 is too old that some of the files referred can't be found. I was interested in it because rooting was done via the update.zip (not raising the version from 2.01 to 2.1 in the its context) and did not require the installation of SPRecovery.

I heard SPRecovery would prevent OTA update from vz. Here is one question related to this: does it also mean you can't do hard reset because that requires re-activation?

thanks,
J.