Please Recommend a Phone

Kermit

Reaction score
Tennessee but my heart is on the west coast
We have never had a Smartphone so I need some help. My wife is due for a new phone (we have 4) and mine is also. We don't need to download music or watch movies. But we want some basic's

We would like to tether to a laptop when we travel (we have a motor home) and surf the net.
We would like to do our banking while traveling (just not sure how secure it is)
It would be cool if we could surf the net with just the phone to check e-mails and look at different sites. When not connected to the laptop.

Right now we don't do a heck of a lot (we do not even TEXT) with our phone other then talk on it and we are happy to do that.

Based on the above can you recommend and phone? We are not rich (if fact we are retired) and don't have a lot to spend but we would like to upgrade.....

Thanks For Your Time

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Well right now the Moto Droid is buy one get one free. I love mine as do most of the ppl on this forum. There is a $30 per month data charge in addition to your regular bill (PER DROID). I'm not sure but i think you could get both droids and sell one, let your wife have the droid and you could upgrade to a newer dumb phone:D tell your wife she can thank me later :D

OP
Kermit

Kermit

Reaction score

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Based on the above can you recommend and phone?
There are really a number of smartphones that meet your requirements. I'd suggest also checking out devices in person to assess physical characteristics (size, weight, "build quality") as most people seem to have strong preferences in that area as well.

For tethering, I'd strongly suggest looking into a phone that has a tethering plan unless you're going to keep a close eye on your data usage while tethering or you're totally certain that your tethering usage will be light.

I know it's a bit difficult and overwhelming if it's your first smartphone but keep in mind that you can return a device if you're not happy with it. You'll have a better idea of what you specifically want (and don't want) after using one for a bit.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
We have never had a Smartphone so I need some help. My wife is due for a new phone (we have 4) and mine is also. We don't need to download music or watch movies. But we want some basic's

We would like to tether to a laptop when we travel (we have a motor home) and surf the net.
We would like to do our banking while traveling (just not sure how secure it is)
It would be cool if we could surf the net with just the phone to check e-mails and look at different sites. When not connected to the laptop.

Right now we don't do a heck of a lot (we do not even TEXT) with our phone other then talk on it and we are happy to do that.

Based on the above can you recommend and phone? We are not rich (if fact we are retired) and don't have a lot to spend but we would like to upgrade.....

Thanks For Your Time

Kermit,

Some things to consider.

() Tethering (using your phone as a broadband 3g modem for your computer) is a can of worms, as you'll be able to tell if you search this forum. What it comes down to is that carriers (esp VZW) have yet to settle on an understandable, reasonable approach to tethering. Some phones can be tethered "legally" at an additional monthly charge (e.g. Droid X, Palm Pre Plus, etc). Some can be tethered via a third party app (e.g. PDAnet) "illegally" but relatively safely at no additional monthly charge. Virtually all android phones can be tethered via one route or the other. But at the moment the Moto Droid can only be tethered via the "illegal" route. (Though you don't have to be "rooted" unless you want to tether "wirelessly.")

Rather than go over all the issues here, I suggest you search the forum for the threads devoted to the topic and enjoy a weekend trying to figure it all out.

() Banking via your phone is just about as safe as any form of internet banking. You should consider, of course, the fact that you can lose your phone more easily than a computer and consider how to protect the information stored on your phone. And you may want to see if your particular bank (e.g. Bank of America) offers an app specifically designed for mobile phone banking.

() Virtually any smartphone (as well as most "feature" phones) will allow you to surf the net on your phone. The issue then becomes whether you can also read the content while you're surfing. (I'm nearing retirement myself so a big bright screen is essential for me.) With that in mind you may want to consider the forthcoming Droid X or the EVO 4G from Sprint (if you're prepared to switch carriers.)

() Since you're going to be traveling a lot, you may want to stick with/go to Verizon as your carrier unless you're sure that you can get good coverage in your travels with other carriers. (There are many different opinions about quality of coverage and while there are some places where VZW is not the best, "on average" it appears to have the best coverage.) On the other hand, I can testify that in the wilds of SE Oregon, getting a signal on my Droid can be a challenge.

() Regardless of your choice of an Android phone, be prepared for a learning curve and some maintenance in terms of updating apps and managing storage on your phone. If you're even minimally competent with a computer, it won't be a problem, but it IS more complex than you're probably used to with a phone. If that concerns you, you're probably better off with a Palm or a Blackberry phone. Fewer options but easier to manage.

() You can get good deals on the Moto Droid from VZW (as noted in another post) or from one of the third party sources like Amazon, Costco or Wirefly. Apart from the tethering issue noted above, it is probably your best compromise in terms of cost, availability, and capabilities. And if you decide to save some money by upgrading through, say, Amazon, your support is identical to a phone purchased from Verizon.

OP
Kermit

Kermit

Reaction score
Wow and I mean WOW there is a lot of great information. I am kinda sorta OK using the computer and this is going to be a challenge for sure. What I really think I should do is like was suggested is visit a local store and check them out. I do not really want to switch carriers because we travel a lot and have found awesome coverage with Verizon. I do want to stay (somewhat) on the legal side. I got busted a few years ago in Myrtle Beach while still using the Beta tethering, but that worked out OK after I called and played dumb. They removed all the charges. Whew

Again thanks for the help and information... So far I am over whelmed but it's getting better:icon_ banana: