Please Help! Trying toupgrade to larger sd card.

Ding

Reaction score
I will pay $ through paypal for an answer

Hello everybody, I know this is along post but it is because I wanted to be very clear on the issue and what I have done.

I will PAY $10 through paypal to whoever can provide me with a resolution immediately.

I am in desperate need of help with an issue I am having. I hope someone here has an answer to my problem. I have a Droid X, no mods or rooting ever done on the device. I have used it with a 4gb micro sd card for the past year. I got a 32gb card for Christmas and was so excited to put it to use. Here is where my problem lies. I connect the phone via USB and in USB mass storage mode, access the memory card file from the my computer screen on my computer, instert the new blank card into a card reader in my desktop computer (I have also inserted the new card in a USB card reader), when I open the Motorola memory card icon and highlight everything in the memory card folder and move it to copy to the new card, not everything is transferring. When I right click on the properties of the card in my phone, it states 3.2 gb of memory is in use. However, when the transfer to the new card starts, the popup window states it is only transfering about 2.3 gb of files. I have tried this several times with the same results (only transferring 2.3gb) and even moved each file one at a time with the same results.

I let the transfer complete once, put the new card in my phone, and then waited on the phone to load the new card info (which took 10-15 mintues). Upon entering my gallery app, most of my pictures were not there, but some were. This is despite the fact that there were no errors with the transfer process on my computer. All of my beloved music from Gtunes transferred just fine, which is the main reason I purchased the new card, but I dont want to lose any other data. Some of which I may not even realize is missing immediately until I start searching for something only to realize it is not there.

I just dont understand why when I click the properties tab of the memory card in the phone when connected in USB mass storage mode that it says 3.2 gb of data is in use on the card, but when I highlight all the files within the memory card of the phone and drag them to the new card it is only transferring 2.something of files.

Thank you for your time and any suggestions or answers are truly welcomed. I joined this website in hopes of finding a resolution because normal searching of the internet and even calling Motorola has not proven successfull. I think I am about to try and backup my phone, put the new card in the phone, and then restore it.s

713King

Reaction score
Some files might be in read only and could cause some issue. Try transferring the files to computer firsts and see what happens, if all files go than just transfer from computer to 32GB sd. another thing is using an adapter for the microsd so you can connect it directly to your computer via USB, they usually have this adapters at Walmart with many inserts for different type of sd cards

ksaul

Reaction score
I would try to copy the files directly to your computer first, instead of copying them from SD to SD. Of course this will take longer but more efficient and easier to see where the problem lies with the missing gigabyte.

The gallery files that are missing could be because your phone might be caching the images and doesn't realise they have been moved or changed. I would pull the SD card and then start the phone (with no SD card) then turn the phone off and insert the SD card and reboot.

I had to do this with my old OG Droid and even without an SD card I was able to view images and videos that were stored on the SD card that was removed (weird right...??)

If none of that works, check the properties of the files you are coping over and make sure they are NOT read only.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums