Please help (sound profiles)...

OP
M

Matth3w

Right now I am using the Widget for vibrate and this stupid Quick Profiles for the night setting.

OP
M

Matth3w

Anyone else that knows someone that can modify one of these apps or something?

nerdbox08

Reaction score
Anyone else that knows someone that can modify one of these apps or something?

I *cannot* promise you anything, but I am in the process of installing all the stuff to make apps.... We'll see if I can't tweak it somehow.

But don't get your hopes up, ha.

OP
M

Matth3w

I'll pay you if you can figure it out. Just try to make it like the stock power widget...only with profiles. Just like I said in post one. :)

droidtom

Reaction score
I am very interested in this one too. On my blackberry I used 3 profiles:

Medium which used sound for everything

Vibrate which vibrated for everything

One I created called calendar/phone and it only alerted for calendar or phone calls so I didn't get woke up at night by emails

Sometimes I would use just plain silent too. It was so easy to modify the profiles on a BB. I too will pay for an app that makes it as easy as the BB. With the latest 5.0 versions you could just click the place that showed which profile was in use and it would bring up the app to let you toggle them. It was one of the BB's best features.

OP
M

Matth3w

I am very interested in this one too. On my blackberry I used 3 profiles:

Medium which used sound for everything

Vibrate which vibrated for everything

One I created called calendar/phone and it only alerted for calendar or phone calls so I didn't get woke up at night by emails

Sometimes I would use just plain silent too. It was so easy to modify the profiles on a BB. I too will pay for an app that makes it as easy as the BB. With the latest 5.0 versions you could just click the place that showed which profile was in use and it would bring up the app to let you toggle them. It was one of the BB's best features.
Maybe we could find a developer's forum or something where we could post this. To offset some developing costs...

I contacted some company that makes apps for a living and they wanted 1000.00 to make it. :icon_eek:

But if we could find someone to do it for us...that was maybe already planning something or doing it is a hobby...

docfreed

Reaction score
Try "Sound Manager"

Lets you set volume/ring/vibrate for every item (e.g., SMS, MMS, etc.) and you can set a schedule for each individual item. So for example, you can have the phone set to ringer during the day and at bedtime it will change ringer to vibrate and then in the morning it will change back to ringer again.

OP
M

Matth3w

How much are you willing to pay for this app?

OP
M

Matth3w

Let's you set volume/ring/vibrate for every item (e.g., SMS, MMS, etc.) and you can set a schedule for each individual item. So for example, you can have the phone set to ringer during the day and at bedtime it will change ringer to vibrate and then in the morning it will change back to ringer again.

What if you don't want it to schedule, will it work? Like if you just want to click...

OP
M

Matth3w

Nevermind, I downloaded it...it's junk. You have to schedule it. I just want to pick. This is a perfect example of getting too advanced for your own good. Who lives a life where they have a specified time where they do EVERYTHING?

clunker

Reaction score
$50 from one person probably not enough unfortunately

I don't want this to be a rant (the usual thing everyone says before a rant). It is great that you are offering to pay, so many people state that "someone should have written this by now for free", which I find mystifying. "I wish someone would write this or free" is a statement I understand, I don't get where the "should" comes from. So, kudos to you for offering payment up front!

That beign said, I don't want to offend, but $50 from one person would not get it done, most likely. If you haven't written applications its a reasonable assumption that an app that does a few simple things is easy to write. All too often it takes a lot more time that one would think. I know this sounds like whining, but I've been a programmer for a long time, no one ever understands how much goes into it, so I get requests all the time to bang out some feature quickly.

I think it would have to take many hours to write this kind of app. You need to do whatever it is that widgitizes the application, each widget has make the API calls to set all the different sounds as desired, you need a dialog for people to choose what the desired settings are for each profile. And of course there are lots of apps out there that people install with their own sound settings, you'd need some way to access those (probably a standard method for it but you'd have to research and program it). Then it has to be tested, including the install, uninstall, making manual changes to the settings and then applying settings via the widgets and vice versa, after each step you'd have to make the phone make each type of sound to insure the setting were actually set as intended. Each time you fine a bug, you try a fix and retest, then when its fixed you start the tests over from the beginning to make sure the fix did not break anything else. Find another bug at that point, go around the cycle again, and so on.

THAT being said, if I was a phone app developer I'd be willing to spend a lot of time developing this widget, because I want it too! It would make my life easier. I think posting to a developers forum and then drumming up supportive posts would show developers that there is a market with many interested individuals. There are a million WinMo apps that do this, I have to believe Android will catch up.

And, I'll throw in another $10 on top of the $50, maybe if we get enough pledges together someone will give it a shot!

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
A profiles app that would include some preset profiles (say, silent, vibrate only, phone only) as well as custom profiles and the option to schedule would be ideal for me. It would probably have more universal appeal if the profiles app could also have the option to switch profiles for meetings, etc.

I think the problem you're going to run into for all of these might be with respect to notifications and vibration -- that usually is controlled by the apps themselves, and not the system.
Settings may be in the individual apps but my understanding is that the preferred way for apps to handle notifications is to send the notification to the OS's notification system. Without really knowing the details it might be possible for a profiles app to intercept these notifications to allow for centralized notification management. Of course, everything seems simple enough when you're not familiar with the details.

Last edited:

nerdbox08

Reaction score
I don't want this to be a rant (the usual thing everyone says before a rant). It is great that you are offering to pay, so many people state that "someone should have written this by now for free", which I find mystifying. "I wish someone would write this or free" is a statement I understand, I don't get where the "should" comes from. So, kudos to you for offering payment up front!

That beign said, I don't want to offend, but $50 from one person would not get it done, most likely. If you haven't written applications its a reasonable assumption that an app that does a few simple things is easy to write. All too often it takes a lot more time that one would think. I know this sounds like whining, but I've been a programmer for a long time, no one ever understands how much goes into it, so I get requests all the time to bang out some feature quickly.

I think it would have to take many hours to write this kind of app. You need to do whatever it is that widgitizes the application, each widget has make the API calls to set all the different sounds as desired, you need a dialog for people to choose what the desired settings are for each profile. And of course there are lots of apps out there that people install with their own sound settings, you'd need some way to access those (probably a standard method for it but you'd have to research and program it). Then it has to be tested, including the install, uninstall, making manual changes to the settings and then applying settings via the widgets and vice versa, after each step you'd have to make the phone make each type of sound to insure the setting were actually set as intended. Each time you fine a bug, you try a fix and retest, then when its fixed you start the tests over from the beginning to make sure the fix did not break anything else. Find another bug at that point, go around the cycle again, and so on.

THAT being said, if I was a phone app developer I'd be willing to spend a lot of time developing this widget, because I want it too! It would make my life easier. I think posting to a developers forum and then drumming up supportive posts would show developers that there is a market with many interested individuals. There are a million WinMo apps that do this, I have to believe Android will catch up.

And, I'll throw in another $10 on top of the $50, maybe if we get enough pledges together someone will give it a shot!

I have installed the necessary software/sdk/apps to start working on it, I just need to nose around the code some more before I can get a good handle on it.

I don't want to figure out just enough to push an app that runs, but sucks battery life or interacts with something else.

So again, it might not happen coming from me, but I'm giving it a good ol' college try.