Please help! Droid X no longer makes or receives phone calls.

Pseybert

Reaction score
As the title says, I can no longer send or receive calls. When I receive a call, it rings, when I pick up, there is no sound. When I make a call, it looks like it's connecting, but I hear no ring tone. The person on the other end tells me they are receiving a call but cannot hear my voice.

The speaker works fine.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
As the title says, I can no longer send or receive calls. When I receive a call, it rings, when I pick up, there is no sound. When I make a call, it looks like it's connecting, but I hear no ring tone. The person on the other end tells me they are receiving a call but cannot hear my voice.

The speaker works fine.

About the only thing I can suggest and I really don't have a clue if this will work is to do a factory data reset. That will bring your phone back to the condition it was when you first got it.

The fact that it is making calls is suggesting the problem lays with the phone, so some of the other fixes like *228 option 2 won't help here.

Arila

Reaction score
So I'm sure that you must have figured out how to fix it by now, but since the answer wasn't here I thought that I would share what worked for me...

I had the same problem, could make and connect calls, but neither side could hear the other. Data worked fine. When I went into the Verizon store, the associate helped me to do what he called a 'soft' reset by removing the battery while the phone was still on. No need to go all the way back to factory settings.

Ivory

Reaction score
Verizon walked me through this. It in loved pulling battery and holding on button to drain, then cold booting and calling some number to reestablish service.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

keithnuss

Reaction score
I had same problem with not being able to hear caller or be heard. Multiple soft resets didn't work. Took to Verizon and they did a hard reset to factory settings. Four days later, having the same problem again! Going to Verizon tomorrow for new X or other phone...any help fixing the problem or how to deal with Verizon is appreciated!

ZenPirate

Reaction score
Just registered here because my droid X does the exact same thing at random
times. Battery pull fixes it for a while. Ironically it never does it in front of a Verizon Rep so they won't exchange it...

lostnbroken

Reaction score
This same thing happened to me a month ago. I just brought my phone to the verizon store, told the Verizon Associate the speaker went out, and he made a call with it. He then pulled up my address and shipped me a new dx. Received it by 11 AM the next day.

*Factory Reset didn't fix the speaker problem when I did it.
Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

keithnuss

Reaction score
Went to Verizon after having the issue last week. They are overnighting me a new phone and didn't give me any problems at all. Hooray for customer service!

duck001

Reaction score
well i have had 4 X's with freezing issues and the one i got now acts stupid almost like seizures randomly and wont dial even tho i got signal. it just says "connecting" forever and never connects

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Battery pulls rarely work. You're more then welcome to try it of course, but if you have this problem repeating then you really need to do a factory data reset. It's not that big of a deal, I had to do one last week because I lost my voice search. And yes, I did do a battery pull for a full 30 seconds before I did the factory data reset. Once I did that my phone was working fine.

Stretch92057

Reaction score
Droid X 2.2.1

So, I experience the "I can't hear" bug pretty frequently. It happens when I travel out of my typical calling area (like from Southern California to Northern California). When this happens, I have to dial *228 then 2 (activation). This solves the problem for me.

When I'm at home in SoCal and it happens, the *228 thingy doesn't fix it. I often have to start with the activation process, but then I also have to pull the battery. Generally speaking, I throw in a few good curse words for good measure and when the phone comes back up, it works and I feel better. When the problem surfaces, I have confirmed that I can't hear and that the other caller can sometimes hear me, because I've answered the phone and yelled, "I can't hear you. Let me call you back" and then confirmed they heard what I said after I went through the process of resetting the phone. I don't know that is fact, just that I am believing the caller and hopefully they aren't just being nice as sometimes people are.

I don't think one of the previous poster's assertions is correct. He/she mentioned that the Droid X thinks a earphone jack is plugged in. When this problem occurs, my phone doesn't work when the speaker is selected, which means that the issue is not jack related.

Further to the overall issue, I have had rare situations in which I had to perform multiple battery pulls and activations to get the phone to work. I did a lot of cursing in between, though I'm pretty sure it didn't matter at all... At those times, I believe the problem was somehow compounded and possibly a phone problem that was linked with a quality of service issue, mimicking a series of phone problems that really shouldn't have been so bad.

All in all, there are some definite bugs and of course some short-comings in the Droid X, not to mention a few challenges with phone service here and there. Though this particular issue is a sizable one that needs to be fixed, I can think of a few others that would be nice to be fixed too (in the 2.2.1 release):

1) Texting someone through the contact list inadvertently brings you to the most recent text conversation, which is sometimes with another person. This can lead to embarrassing mix-ups and unintended multithreaded conversations
2) Phone call history gets mixed up when clicking the last caller. I've tried to call someone back only to redial the wrong person repeatedly. I'm sure the receiver of my repeated calls knows I'm not an idiot but I think they are beginning to wonder.
3) The screen doesn't work the same way when phone is laying down as it does when standing up. When I try to do things like unlock the phone, it only works as a half stroke until I pick it up.
4) If the screen is rubbed a certain way, the screen becomes insensitive to touch and the battery needs to be pulled to re-activate the touch screen. Strange to say the least.

And of course, the usual requests for simple business enhancements that should have came with the phone as I migrated away from my now defunct BB 8820:

Global copy/paste
Better linguistics recognition in Swype in lieu of a real keyboard (Really? There is a word called Samdiego that is more commonly used than San Diego. I must be ill-informed)
The ability to attach a vcard in an email instead of creating a new message just to send one.

Hey, I'm a simple guy. I just want the phone to work for my work purposes and I'm sure we can all appreciate that...

Stretch92057