Played with both devices today at the VZW store and

P3Droid

Reaction score
Okay the manager at my local VZW, and I can't tell you which one, showed me both the droid and the HTC today. I spent about an hour playing around on both. This is a quick write up and not a thorough review.

first Impression -
Motorola Droid -
looks like it means business..black with gold accent colors.
Wickedly fast, makes the BB look like a tortoise
UI very nice (damnit BB) felt easy to use (yes not as easy as some others but I have used evry single platform during my years)
Call quality was as good as my Storm.
On screen keyboard worked fine, I had no problems typing on it in landscape or portrait.
Pictures are rediculous, insane, purrfect

Why I may not buy it. I couldn't type isht on the slide out keyboard, felt cramped and the nav button would take some getting used to for me. I only used it once, it was just easier to touch the screen for me.

**I didn't try any of the special apps (they don't matter to me)

HTC (Hero) Eries
IMHO I love the look of the phone, little narrower than the S2 but same length (at least it felt that way).
Wickedly fast (I couldn't tell the difference between this and the Motorola)
This one has 7 homescreens and the motorola has only 3, not a deal breaker for me.
Pictures good but not spectacular about on par with the Storm (but I have a d80 for good pics)
typing on this phone was easier for me than on the moto, don't know why.
Phone qualtiy in call was as expected it is verizon you know.

this phone felt familiar, I think this one will require the least learning curve.

Last and not least, Sense UI is the most beautiful thing I have played with on a phone, period.

Okay so there you go, I like the look of the Motorola phone better feels more adult like so that is something else I'm considering.

This is my short write up. I am buying a droid but now I'm not sure about which one.

Last edited:

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the write up. It's a good read. For me I don't really need a physical keyboard, but I like it there if I need it. Yeah the home screens is not going to be a huge deal breaker, and you never know they could easily make it more in an OS patch. I do have to agree with you Sense UI is very nice, but also not a huge deal breaker for me, seeing as there have been alot of talk that there might be a way to move OS's to other phones (even if not it's ok.)

OP
P3Droid

P3Droid

Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the write up. It's a good read. For me I don't really need a physical keyboard, but I like it there if I need it. Yeah the home screens is not going to be a huge deal breaker, and you never know they could easily make it more in an OS patch. I do have to agree with you Sense UI is very nice, but also not a huge deal breaker for me, seeing as there have been alot of talk that there might be a way to move OS's to other phones (even if not it's ok.)

The Moto droid is a thing of beauty, after playing with I thought if they had one sans keyboard it would be the best phone of alltime. IMO

Droid128

Reaction score
I too had the chance to play with the Moto droid yesterday. Originally I switched to Vzw for the TP2, but being that they were out of stock and my 30 days trial is coming up, I did some research on a different phone and that's when my obsession with the droid began. The manager was cool enough to tell me that they got their phone in stock and let me try it out. I absolutely LOVED it. The pictures of the droid online make it look reallly boxy, but in person it didn't look that bad. The touch screen was very fast and responsive (pretty smooth like the iphone). I wasnt expecting the phone to be as heavy as it was, but it's a good weight. I did get to test out a few of the apps (facebook, youtube, & google search), as well as make a crystal clear test call to myself.

The physical keyboard wasn't that bad. For some, including myself, a keyboard is better than no keyboard. I personally prefer to use it due to the fact that touch screen keyboards block every thing on the screen.

The app that I see myself using a lot of is the google search, I got to show off the phone's capabilities to the manager, as he stated he hasn't had much time to spend on the phone yet. A simple task such as: "Find Verizon Wireless Store" brought up the map of our location as well as a street view. We were both amazed at how fast and easy that was.

The manager asked if the Droid is something i would be interested in, and if so, he would be able to place it on hold for me come friday. Being that he knows my situation with the TP2 and how dissatisfied I was, this gesture makes everything all better. Even though I know he's going to put it on hold for me, I'll still be getting off work early that day (I work graveyard) to be there at the store when it opens. He said they are expecting a huge turnout so that will be exciting to participate in all in itself.

Now if only Friday can come sooner. as of now, the Droid ticker says 4 Days & 7 Hours. :icon_ banana:

OP
P3Droid

P3Droid

Reaction score
Now if only Friday can come sooner. as of now, the Droid ticker says 4 Days & 7 Hours. :icon_ banana:

I agree the phone is beautiful, they pics do not do it justice.

JimMariner

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 64G
Hey guys, Thanks for both of those hands on experiences you two were fortunate enough to get. Only make me know that the Droid is the One For Me!!

Maybe it would be worth a trip there (my local vzw) to get one on hold for myself as well.

djstar2k2

Reaction score
fam im telling you ll be able to type on the keyboard if you have the g1 u know what i mean. i didnt wanna leave t mo but day android change the game for me!

droid is king

BzB

Reaction score
I am buying a droid but now I'm not sure about which one.

this is my same thought at the moment. i've been more focused on the moto, but the htc isn't exactly chopped liver. a hands on will seal the deal one way or the other for me.