Not open for further replies.

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
gsmarena_004.jpg

We have heard quite a lot of rumors on the new Sony Ericsson play station phone, but this is the first one that gives us an ETA. This piece of information was leaked by Pocket-lint who say their trusted source has information pointing at an April launch date for the new Android powered gamer phone. This informant says the device will not be announced at CES this year, but rather at MWC in February and then held for an April date that is yet to be confirmed. The leaker also says the pictures are quite accurate, and that we weren’t miss lead by previously revealed information. I might also add that he utters the device will be called the Xperia Play.

I personally am not the biggest fan of the idea that my phone will always have a game pad rather than a keyboard that changes to a gamepad (like Motorola did with previous morph devices), but I will keep an open mind with this concept. What do you guys think about all this? Might this device ever make it to your pocket next to your keys, or do you have similar feelings about the concept as myself.

News via: GSMArena

jessel0001

Reaction score
I agree having a dedicated game pad may seem cool at first. I am a huge fan of my d1 and a game gripper, leaving me the option of a full keyboard. Perhaps sony should write a psp app with access to a seperate psp game market place.

DroidMastar2

Reaction score
its not too bad, but i don't think this should be a phone. It seems more like they should have made a device dedicated to gaming that can double as a phone, not the other way around.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
If they have it pushing dual core and a large amount of RAM for intense games then it should sell just fine, but if they went budget light on this set it will founder terribly.

MoeDaddy

Reaction score
I'd imagine that this phone would goto all providers... the key for sony is max sales to get a large base and then make the money on the SW for the games.

Slingnutt

Reaction score
Great, now I'm going to have to carry around my Playstation Steering wheel and pedals with my phone for Gran Turismo 6...

UNC

Reaction score
I agree having a dedicated game pad may seem cool at first. I am a huge fan of my d1 and a game gripper, leaving me the option of a full keyboard. Perhaps sony should write a psp app with access to a seperate psp game market place.

Did you read anything about it? PSstore will be available... download pspGo games or whatever....

jessel0001

Reaction score

Did you read anything about it? PSstore will be available... download pspGo games or whatever....

I'm sorry, I don't think I was clear enough. I was suggesting that Sony implement a system to allow Android users with a powerful enough device to download and play psp style games.

dredger

Reaction score
I personally am not the biggest fan of the idea that my phone will always have a game pad rather than a keyboard that changes to a gamepad (like Motorola did with previous morph devices), but I will keep an open mind with this concept. What do you guys think about all this? Might this device ever make it to your pocket next to your keys, or do you have similar feelings about the concept as myself.

News via: GSMArena

I honestly have high hopes for this phone. Just looking at sonys track record you can see that they are not about plugging PS logos on underpowered junk. I mean, psx, ps2 were ahead of the curve. PSP was way ahead of the curve compared to the GB advanced and even DS, it just struggled with quality games not hardware. Finally PS3, it may not look a ton better than 360 but it is and it came with the next gen video player that sony battled hard to become the current standard.

No Sonys only real issue is they push the limits with hardware and this means higher cost for consumers. If anything I believe xperia will be high end longer than any other android phone we have seen thus far, and it will probably cost a little more than any other too.

That's just my opinion tho.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

dredger

Reaction score
Sorry meant that post as a reply to Hugh Jass, oops

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Card

Reaction score
I honestly have high hopes for this phone. Just looking at sonys track record you can see that they are not about plugging PS logos on underpowered junk. I mean, psx, ps2 were ahead of the curve. PSP was way ahead of the curve compared to the GB advanced and even DS, it just struggled with quality games not hardware.

That's just it though. If they are calling it the Xperia Play, and not dubbing it with a Playstation moniker, perhaps they are just testing the waters, to see if this concept is feasible in the long term. It's possible that sales and support of this phone will dictate future versions branded with the Playstation name.

What interests me is how the PSP firmware would be integrated with the Android OS. After about a year, 90% of my PSP use was just to play PS1 games on the custom firmware I installed. It would be interesting to see this work on a phone too, so I can have Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy 7 with me everywhere I go on a device I already need on my person at all times (let's face it, my days of carrying a portable gaming machine with me are long over).

Mike Stephan

Reaction score

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
I honestly have high hopes for this phone. Just looking at sonys track record you can see that they are not about plugging PS logos on underpowered junk. I mean, psx, ps2 were ahead of the curve. PSP was way ahead of the curve compared to the GB advanced and even DS, it just struggled with quality games not hardware. Finally PS3, it may not look a ton better than 360 but it is and it came with the next gen video player that sony battled hard to become the current standard.

No Sonys only real issue is they push the limits with hardware and this means higher cost for consumers. If anything I believe xperia will be high end longer than any other android phone we have seen thus far, and it will probably cost a little more than any other too.

That's just my opinion tho.

I agree actually now that you mention it, Sony is always bleeding edge on their gaming systems...but according to Engadget these are the specs for the prototype phone:

1GHz Qualcomm MSM8655 (a chip similar to the one found in the G2, but 200MHz faster)
512MB of RAM
1GB ROM
3.7 to 4.1 inch screen

Although those stats are no pushover, for what's being offered in 2011 it kinda sucks to be honest. That is a 2nd generation chip-set and the 4th generation will be available in 2011 that will blow it away...

MSM8960 is a Dual-core ARMv7 Cortex-A15 MPCore, built with the Adreno 300 GPU constructed with a 28nm process (meaning it will consume 75% less power than the Cortex-A9 MPCore found on the original Snapdragon processor)

Key features of the Cortex-A15 core are:

• Out-of-order speculative issue superscalar execution pipeline, providing up to 5 times the performance of Cortex-A9 MPCore.
  • DSP and NEON SIMD extensions onboard.
  • VFPv4 Floating Floating Point Unit onboard.
  • 64-bit Large Physical Address Extensions (LPAE) addressing up to 1TB of RAM.
  • Hardware virtualization support.
  • Thumb-2 instruction set encoding reduces the size of programs with little impact on performance.
  • TrustZone security extensions.
  • Jazelle DBX support for Java execution.
  • Jazelle RCT for JIT complilation.
  • Integrated low-latency level-2 cache controller, up to 4MB.
  • Program Trace Macrocell and CoreSight Design Kit for unobtrusive tracing of instruction execution.

What all this boils down to is 5x performance, 75% energy savings, and a Qualcomm Adreno 300 series GPU which will allegedly offer the gaming performance of an Xbox 360 or PS3. That folks is bleeding edge, and what should be in the Playstation Phone. :)

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
And remember, that's JUST what's being offered from Qualcomm, think about the other chip-sets that will be pouring out as well. It's about to get very interesting. dancedroid

Status
Not open for further replies.