Pictures not erasing from gallery

qman66

Reaction score
So over the last few days I've taken some pictures and now I want to erase them. I actually erased the pictures from astro like I always do. But they still in the gallery. The delete button in gallery is greyed out. They aren't taking up space but then I went to dcim/thumbnails and they r there but won't erase what is going on?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Delete them with the gallery and the thumbnail will delete also.
Astro has no idea there is a thumbnail associated with the image you delete.

jjd228

Reaction score

It's not just Astro. Even if you use the native file manager to delete the photo the thumbnail stays cached in the gallery app until you reboot. This is a bug.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

It's not just Astro. Even if you use the native file manager to delete the photo the thumbnail stays cached in the gallery app until you reboot. This is a bug.

If I use menu>delete on a photo in the gallery the thumbnail is also gone.
I am not talking about deleting with another app.

The reason the thumbnail is gone after a reboot is they are recreated upon a reboot.

jjd228

Reaction score

If I use menu>delete on a photo in the gallery the thumbnail is also gone.
I am not talking about deleting with another app.

The reason the thumbnail is gone after a reboot is they are recreated upon a reboot.

Correct. If you USE the gallery to delete the photo the photo is deleted from the file system and the thumbnail cache is also cleared from the gallery app. But as I said, if you use the file manager to delete the photo the cached thumbnail is NOT deleted from the gallery. This was obviously overlooked in development. As a developer I can tell you that it's a very simple fix so hopefully it will indeed be fixed some day.

OP
qman66

qman66

Reaction score
i cant delete it from gallery. i mentioned above that the delete button is greyed out. this is so weird

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Correct. If you USE the gallery to delete the photo the photo is deleted from the file system and the thumbnail cache is also cleared from the gallery app.

Which is what was posted.

OP
qman66

qman66

Reaction score
ok what do i do now i cant remove them from the gallery

jjd228

Reaction score
did that before, still there

If you use the native, builtin file manager... do you see the file? If not, and rebooting doesn't get rid of the thumbnail in the gallery app, then I don't know what to tell ya. Create another picture with the same name and delete it by using the gallery app. Maybe that'll do it.

OP
qman66

qman66

Reaction score
there is no file for the pics they are all erased, but there is a thumbnail for them. but when i erase pictures thumbnail always erases at the same time.

Pilot145

Reaction score
Try this:

Go to SETTINGS > APPLICATIONS > MANAGE APPLICATIONS

Select the ALL tab

Scroll down to MEDIA STORAGE

Select CLEAR DATA

Your phone will have to rebuild everything it knew about photos and music on your phone, but erased photos should no longer appear as thumbnails or icons.

dancedroid