Pics received as video

1stdroid

Reaction score
Hey all,

From one particular friend on Sprint, when she sends me pic in a text, the message comes in as a video. That is, there is a large "play" button above the text message itself. When I touch the play button, the screen goes black with the text portion of the message and then is followed by the pic for a few seconds and then, ultimately, returns to the message conversation screen. If I touch the screen during playback, a progress bar and pause button appear so, I can pause on the pic but, then I have no ability to zoom, etc.

We tested this on my sons's droid and his reacts exactly the same way when receiving texts from my friends phone. Then, we tested on my daughter's enV touch and the pics are received normally, as pics.

Anybody else experiencing pics arriving in a small video or slide show type format? I called Verizon and of course, they've never heard of it and it must be her Sprint phone. The rep couldn't grasp that it doesn't happen to anyone else she knows with any other phone and that it happens on both my and my son's droids.

Any help would be appreciated!!

pulse32382

Reaction score
video displyed as pic

Might be inappropriate in this forum, but bear with me.
Any video file sent from a mobile phone that was recorded from the phone .3gp format as well as animated .gif(s) all display as a single picture which appears to be only the first frame. I have used different apps for viewing and its always the same result. Anyone Else?:icon_evil:

OP

1stdroid

Reaction score
In my case, the user of the origination phone takes a simple picture and sends it via text.

What is happening to me when viewing the text sound related to what pulse32382 is talking about.

Pressing "play" causes the text to display on a blank screen followed by the pic and then returns to the message thread. Very strange.

Again, same phone sends pics as pics to my daughters evV touch.

xtremecanefan

Reaction score
On my WinMo phones it had a play button that went for about 5 seconds, I think it was meant for slide shows of texts with multiple images.

Aparentlee

Reaction score
I get the same thing from a friend with an iphone, but (and what I can't understand) some pics she sends come in normal.....I don't dare ask what she is doing different between the two types of pics because I'll be met with a blank stare.

blhoover84

Reaction score
I get the same problem from sprint as well. But it only from sprint

DROIDMASTER

Reaction score
Slideshow

I use to have this problem but I figured out what it was. If you long press on the message things pop up one of the choices is to view as slideshow. This view as slideshow will make the phone try to take one picture and go to the next but since there is only one picture the Droid gets confused. If you click slideshow it should turn off. If that doesn't work you can save the picture then view it in your default gallery.

anuraj1

Reaction score
I am having the exact same problem. If I send myself a picture over email to [email protected] (we all have an email address assigned to us by verizon.) then it shows up as a play button. I tried the longpress and chose view slideshow, but it just starts the "video" and flashes the picture i sent for a split second

OP

1stdroid

Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments. Interesting information and I'm trying to zero in on the cause.

Unlike Droidmaster, if I long press the message with the play button, a menu indeed opens but, there is only an option to "play slideshow" and not to turn slideshows off. Also, there are no options to save the pic. That would be a reasonable work around if I could save the pic to a gallery and then view it, zoom, fwd, whatever. As it is, the pic that is in the message with a play button is only viewable as a slideshow/video. I can pause the image to at least view it but, it still sucks.

Not a big deal, just weird. There must be an explanation for it but, she has tried sending pics different ways. Again, it's how the droid is interpreting what she sends because the same pic sent the same way to my daughters evV touch comes in as a normal pic in text.

We'll keep digging.......

speed4tu

Reaction score
I have been getting this from a friend with T-mobile and the motorola Cliq. At first I thought it was Handcent because it never happened before then but I deleted that and the stock messaging app does the same thing. I hope someone figures it out soon as its really annoying. I have been doing the save to SD workaround to view the pics.

aacanela73

Reaction score
In my opinion the Droid is one of the worst phones i have seen for messaging both SMS and MMS. To bad everything eles about it is so cool. I'm crossing my fingers that updates will come and we will get a higher quality for video and picture message viewing. I don't even like to get MMS anymore because the joy is gone when you have to look at the funny picture then listen to the audio, then read the caption all seperately instead of all together. What is even stranger is I can forward these messages to my sons Blackberry and they come on his phone just the way it was before it was sent to my droid. It seems to be only the droid that takes the fun out of mmsing.

OP

1stdroid

Reaction score
So, droidmaster, can you elaborate on how you got to the view as slideshow option in your text messages?

It is not a long press on the message. That indeed brings up a menu but, there are no options to turn on/off slideshow. Only "view as slideshow" which results in the same exact thing as touching the play button in the message.

Anybody??

utpanthro

Reaction score
Unlike Droidmaster, if I long press the message with the play button, a menu indeed opens but, there is only an option to "play slideshow" and not to turn slideshows off. Also, there are no options to save the pic. That would be a reasonable work around if I could save the pic to a gallery and then view it, zoom, fwd, whatever. As it is, the pic that is in the message with a play button is only viewable as a slideshow/video. I can pause the image to at least view it but, it still sucks.

You can use the "Copy attached to SD card" to save the picture and it'll save correctly in your downloads in the gallery viewer.

Really frustrating that you can't just view it in the message though. No idea when this started but it definitely was a change for the far worse.

luweegy

Reaction score
I have this problem on some of my attachments too. Also my camera and video quality seems poor all of a sudden.Video in the Olive Garden last was so dark I couldn't even make it out.Is there a upgrade or download for this? Thanx