Physical keyboard has a mind of its own

km75

Reaction score
I've had my D3 for a little under a month now. I have not experienced any problems so far except for the fact that the phsyical keyboard has started acting weird this past week. If I push the delete button to get rid of one letter sometimes it will automatically delete the whole text that I made. Also when I type it will automatically pull up the symbol options screen. I do know that with the design of the phone it allows for long pressing on the keyboard to bring up additional symbols. But this is happening during the course of regular typing w/o the long presses. Im assuming that my phone just has a faulty physical keyboard. I have a replacement phone arriving today albeit a CLN device. I was just curious to know if anyone else has encountered this problem. And if anyone has were you able to find a fix for this. BTW I already tried a factory reset a couple of times.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Sounds like the keys are just sticking a little. Not sure on a good fix for it though.

end of line...

OP
K

km75

Reaction score
Sounds like the keys are just sticking a little. Not sure on a good fix for it though.

end of line...

That's what I was thinking. I was hoping that with a little more use that I would be able to get the problem to go away on its own but unfortunately it hasn't. I would prefer to keep this device instead of going the refurb route. I guess I should've known that since the KB worked fine the first three weeks it wasn't going to get any better.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I wonder if using some rubbing alcohol with it turned off of course and wiping over the keyboard a few times might help.

end of line...

OP
K

km75

Reaction score
I didn't even consider that. I will have to give it a try later.

thyrox

Reaction score
I'm experiencing exactly the same above issues and it's driving me nuts. I'm a long time Handcent user but I've been comparing both it and GoSMS. I decided to uninstall both thinking they were causing the problem because I only experience it while texting. But the problem still remains. :icon_evil:​

Insidious

Reaction score
That is odd. Moto is known for outstanding build quality so don't know what's up with that. I'd try the rubbing alcohol like jstafford said.

Sent from my now completely stock DROID2 Global :(

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I've had my D3 for a little under a month now. I have not experienced any problems so far except for the fact that the phsyical keyboard has started acting weird this past week. If I push the delete button to get rid of one letter sometimes it will automatically delete the whole text that I made. Also when I type it will automatically pull up the symbol options screen. I do know that with the design of the phone it allows for long pressing on the keyboard to bring up additional symbols. But this is happening during the course of regular typing w/o the long presses. Im assuming that my phone just has a faulty physical keyboard. I have a replacement phone arriving today albeit a CLN device. I was just curious to know if anyone else has encountered this problem. And if anyone has were you able to find a fix for this. BTW I already tried a factory reset a couple of times.

Actually you are not the only one. I too have experienced this. Sometimes the phone ends up sending multiple blank messages after sending a regular message. I think somehow the space key is being pressed and the enter key also cuz it will keep sending message after message until I close out of the messaging app.

Sent from my DROID 3 directly to YOU!

thyrox

Reaction score
rubbing alcohol...

Please explain why you believe rubbing alcohol would help. Seems to me that if one or more keys sticking/shorting, that would be below the plastic membrane that we press on. How would the rubbing alcohol even get to the problem?

myersjesse

Reaction score
Do any of you have a third party keyboard installed? I was having the same issue until I uninstalled swiftkey x. I have no issues since.

myersjesse

Reaction score
Have you tried uninstalling it and rebooting your phone? I don't know why it would effect the hard keyboard but it seems to have fixed mine.

thyrox

Reaction score
I have tried SwiftKey X in the past but it's been uninstalled for quite awhile.