Phone went from bootlooping to not booting at all.

tkisner

Reaction score
Hello all,

I very recently got a Maxx HD. I rooted it, unlocked the bootloader, and installed Cyanogenmod. I was recently on my honeymoon, and my GPS stopped working. Due to having unlimited data we prefer to use my phone for stuff like that. So I a new CM zip from a different developer. At this point my phone wouldn't get past bootloop, I kept going online trying different things etc etc. Now it's to the point where my phone won't boot. I can get into recovery, but when I get in there it says this
CWM can't mount /cache/recovery/command
CWM can't mount /cache/recovery/log
CWM can't open/cache/recovery/command
CWM can't mount /cache/recovery/last_log
CWM can't open/cache/recovery/last_log

When I try to fastboot it doesn't work. I'm done looking at random advice across all different forums. I figured it would be wise to present my problem and see if anyone here could provide some guidance. Let me know what information you need, and I will provide it asap. Thank you all so much!

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
You say fastboot doesn't work? Does that mean you can't get into ap fastboot mode?

First thing, stay in recovery and make sure the battery is charged. Once it is, turn the phone off. Hold power + volume up + volume down to enter the boot menu. Select ap fastboot. Can you get that far?

OP
T

tkisner

Reaction score
You say fastboot doesn't work? Does that mean you can't get into ap fastboot mode?

First thing, stay in recovery and make sure the battery is charged. Once it is, turn the phone off. Hold power + volume up + volume down to enter the boot menu. Select ap fastboot. Can you get that far?

Yes I can get to that point. However, once I select AP Fastboot the screen goes black. It is still lit, but does not have any text on the screen.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Hmm... Might try using matts utility to attempt to flash back to stock.

Sent from my XT926 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

OP
T

tkisner

Reaction score
I have tried to use that utility, but you must be in fastboot in order to use option 1 and 2. Is there any way I can get in that mode based on the issues I have mentioned?

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
i realize the screen is going blank in fastboot, just wondering if you tried putting it in that state and opening RSD to see if it will show as connected?

OP
T

tkisner

Reaction score
i realize the screen is going blank in fastboot, just wondering if you tried putting it in that state and opening RSD to see if it will show as connected?

I did, and unfortunately it did not show up. I haven't used RSD before though, so whether or not I did everything correctly is open for debate.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
The only thing you should need for rsd to work are the drivers for your phone.... Out of curiosity what exactly did you flash before this happened? You said CM but a different dev and that has me worried cuz DHacker handles the RAZR HD CM builds.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
at this point, i guess you could try this Motorola Factory Adapters
its what moto uses to program phones and "Depending upon the model of the phone, it may also boot up differently than it does with a normal USB cable".

unfortunately, you did a good job of breaking your phone :(

OP
T

tkisner

Reaction score
The only thing you should need for rsd to work are the drivers for your phone.... Out of curiosity what exactly did you flash before this happened? You said CM but a different dev and that has me worried cuz DHacker handles the RAZR HD CM builds.

To be honest I don't remember which build I was using when it all hit the fan. I'm thinking I might have used a build meant for something other than the xt926 accidentally in my haste to get out the door and have fun. I have no doubts it was user error. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

OP
T

tkisner

Reaction score
at this point, i guess you could try this Motorola Factory Adapters
its what moto uses to program phones and "Depending upon the model of the phone, it may also boot up differently than it does with a normal USB cable".

unfortunately, you did a good job of breaking your phone :(

I did a great job of breaking it lol. I bought the adapter. I'm very excited to see how it works out. It shipped today, so hopefully it make is to my home within the next couple of days.